Original iPad and 5.1 (speed improvements)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marksandvig, Mar 9, 2012.

1. marksandvig macrumors regular

Anyone else notice significant speed improvements with 5.1 (especially safari)? Im ecstatic with the update! :)

2. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

Yep!
    I was desperate for the new iPad release simply because my first gen device had become so choppy and sluggish.
    5.1 has made it feel like a new device in it's own right. Huge increase in responsiveness in almost every app!

3. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I feel as if all my iOS devices have had their speed improved when they were upgraded to 5.1.

/insane

4. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't noticed it as much in my IP4.. However, I suppose I never really found it sluggish to begin with. The iPad was almost unusable in safari before (crashes and extreme keyboard leg)

5. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

EXTREME!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Yes, Safari is definitely snappier! :D No, really ....

7. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

Well played (I love it)

8. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

There's a local news web site that would reliably crash Safari on my iPad 1 on 5.0, now it loads ok with no crashes. Apple's lucky I already ordered my new iPad, or I'd be rethinking my purchase...

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I just got a like new original iPad for a steal on the new iPad release day, believe it or not. Before iOS 5.1 I had a fair amount of Safari crashes only in the few hours I had the product. After the update, I have not yet had a Safari crash, but I have had Facebook crash and a few games freshly downloaded from the App Store crash on first boot and never start. Also, a few minutes ago, the iPad wouldn't turn from landscape to portrait mode even after I rotated the device and toggled the rotation lock switch. I did a hard reboot and that issue resolved itself. Overall, things still seem a bit glitchy but bearable. If it gets worse I will seriously consider an iPad 2 or the new iPad.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

You can always cancel. I dare 'ya!

11. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

This ^^ ;)

12. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yes, my 1st gen too has sped up with 5.1 and THANK GOD!!!

It had gotten so sluggish that typing text was often 6 characters or more behind onscreen. It was VERY annoying.

Mike

13. IsaacM macrumors member

Much faster on the iPad2 too. Also, less crashing.

I think Safari is the most used feature on the iPad, glad they fixed it!

14. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

Same for me in e-mail and even imessage. I'm glad im not the only one who noticed a significant improvement!

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I'm definitely seeing a big speed improvement too. It feels like they've done a bunch of optimisation on keeping the right stuff in memory.

I've also ordered a new iPad already but whoever I pass my old iPad on to is going to get something that works much more smoothly.

16. Gol27 macrumors regular

Does anyone else think they have altered the font smoothing as well? Reading web pages and iBooks just seems a little better to me.

17. c5bill macrumors newbie

Back to normal with 5.1

Haven't had a single app crash since updating to 5.1. Browsing and typing is so much faster now.

18. pdawg macrumors regular

It is faster and seems more stable. Maybe I should cancel my new iPad order.

No way!! :D

19. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

20. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I think we should all give a round of applause for the real geniuses at apple that made iOS 5.1.

[​IMG]

21. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

When my iPad starts to have crash/stability issues, doing a power off/on will make it stable for a week or so then the crashes come back.

I suspect those who believe 5.1 fixed stability issues might not want count your eggs yet. The power cycle done from the iOS update may have corrected your issues, not the update.

Also, there are reports of reduced battery life on iPad and iPhone from the 5.1 update. Just go browse the apple forums or Facebook.

22. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I upgraded to 5.1 last night and Safari hasn't crashed yet. It was crashing every 10 minutes so this is an improvement. I haven't noticed much difference in speed but maybe I will after I use some more apps. Foreflight came to a standstill on 5.0, had to wait 5 seconds for every button I pressed.

23. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so.. Restarting never seemed to help me too much. Battery life does seem to be a little bit diminished.