Original iPad and iOS5

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kozkay, Jun 13, 2011.

1. kozkay macrumors newbie

Is iOS5 going to slow down my original 16gb iPad? I remember about a year ago I updated my 3G i phone to iOS4 and the phone was never the same again. Will I have that problem?

Sorry if this was asked before, i did a quick search and didnt see anything.

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I'm running the beta on the original iPad hardware with no apparent degredation in performance.

As with any beta software, though, your mileage may vary. If you are concerned about usability of your iPad after the installation of iOS 5 (and you are not a developer) I would suggest you wait for the official release of the OS, since you *will* experience issues with certain features (for example, video playback) if you install the beta.

Cheers,

RTP.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would suggest googling "TinyUmbrella," downloading it, and saving your SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 (that would be the only blob you can save now). If any further updates are released for iOS 4, download TinyUmbrella again, and save the blob for that firmware. If you have the blobs saved, then if you are not satisfied with the performance of iOS 5, you can downgrade back to 4. You need to do this now, before iOS 5 is officially released. Once Apple releases iOS 5, it will stop issuing SHSH blobs for older firmware, which prevents you from downgrading to an earlier OS.

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It might pay to resist installing iOS5 for 48 hours after it's release, and then see how may calls for help there are here stating "Help iOS5 killed my iPad". I'm also a little concerned that tree may be a re-run of the iOS4 on iPhone 3G saga too.

5. ajax43 macrumors regular

I too am going to wait. I have decided to give it at least a week before I download the new os onto my OG ipad. It will be a loooong week, but I want to make sure it will not ruin my ipad's performance. I made that mistake with ios 4 and my iphone 3g.