iPad mini Original iPad Mini and iOS 7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dhokes, Oct 27, 2013.

1. dhokes macrumors regular

I'm considering an iPad Mini and in a dilemma as to whether to get a second-hand iPad Mini with the A5 chip or wait for the new retina version with the A7 chip.

How does the original iPad mini cope with iOS7?

And apart from the retina display, how would the new version compare to the old one in terms of typical low-end tasks e.g. browse safari, email, calendar, read .pdfs, Pocket, Dropbox...?

2. Aridia macrumors newbie

It does its job pretty well. For simple task as the ones you are mentioning, it's pretty good, apart from its new price. I sold mine expecting the new iPad mini retina but I realised that the A5 iPad mini is more than enough.

I could also play the majority of normal games, and it handles PDFs smoothly.

3. Stewart21 macrumors regular

The current mini copes well with everything you list. I tend to browse the internet in Landscape as it's easier to read. Of course the new one is going to be faster and have retina display but you'll be able to pick up a secondhand or re-furbished Mini One at a bargain price.

4. dhokes thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. Thanks for the replies. Is there anything it doesn't handle that well?

5. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I'm not a power user per se. Browsing, mail, games, movies, and music are all handled well for me anyways.

You can check the IOS 7 forum for opinions about the Mini on that OS as well.

6. Aridia macrumors newbie

I've used, excluding the stock apps, Goodreader, guitar and piano apps, social apps, Paper, games like Contre Jour or Dead Space and all of them worked flawlessly.

Maybe newest games like Infinity Blade III won't work, and loading times should be higher. Anyway I don't have any complaint about this matter in the first mini.