iPad Original iPad Review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipadlvr, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ipadlvr macrumors regular

This is cool to watch.

With all the criticism about iPad Air 2 doesn't have this and that, look at how far they have come in only 4 short years. It truly looks ancient.

2. urda Suspended

urda

I love progress :D

3. jm5309 macrumors regular

I did not hesitate to order one and loved every minute with it. It was exactly what I wanted, and was such a fun experience. It's still the product I get most excited about when there's a new generation.

4. addictzz macrumors 6502

People can never be satisfied.

And somehow I missed that iOS interface. iOS7 flat interface looks kind of cartoon-ish.

5. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

I think iOS 6 was the best iOS.

Looking at the original review, Pages looks old. Everything is going flat and Apple did the right thing going flat. The problem is that iOS 7 went more and more complicated and bloated with crazy color gradients.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

A). There's a difference between 'flat' and 'stripped of all context'.

B). My mother always told me that just because everybody else was doing it didn't mean I needed to.

I have no real problem with flat per se. But Apple seemed to be trying to force change where it wasn't needed. People were used to specific aspects of an interface, buttons that actually looked like you should click them, arrows actually meant 'back', etc. Changing the look a bit is ok but the action still needs to be intuitive.

My biggest gripes with the iOS changes is the use of thin stick figures, the fact that the same actions are not consistent throughout Apple's stock apps (ie, the trash can is on top on the right one place, on the bottom left in another, etc.), and all that WHITE.

And don't get me started on white background, very light grey bars with white text. Everything just blends together. No contrast. Might loo good to some but very hard to use on a day-to-day basis for any length of time. Look at the new autocorrect......

I designed software for close to 25 years. Apple broke almost every rule of good interface design. And not for good reasons. As far as I can see it was 'just because we can'. I mean, exactly what was accomplished by using dots vs thin bars for signal strength? And WHITE everywhere? Any good software designer kows that brilliant white is harder on the eyes.

Even Apple had to backtrack by putting in options like the bold text, button shadows, and reduced white point.

But what's done is done. I suspect over the next couple of years we'll see them slowly fix the most egregious missteps. They have already been trying with the options I mentioned.

End rant. Sorry

7. ipadlvr thread starter macrumors regular

Flat is the way to go. But it is supposed to make it more,simple not more bloated.

iOS 7 with the gag inducing 3D effects and acid trip gradients aren't the way to go.

There are some things I like and some things that are terrible. Its like different things were designed by different teams at Apple

At least iOS 6 looked cohesive.