Original iPad smoother performing many UI tasks

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Surfheart, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Surfheart macrumors regular

Got an ipad air the other day and have the original ipad and the ipad 3.

I decided to restore my original ipad to new and started installing some apps for my young son. Obviously its alot slower than my 3 and air for almost everything but i was suprised to see that my original iPad is smoother than my iPad 3 rotating the home screen and any screen that has the keyboard up. In fact rotating any screen that has a keyboard up is smoother than my air.

iOS 7 needs some serious optimization I guess.

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

You're right. iOS 7.0.4 is not properly optimized for older iPads. However, the upcoming iOS 7.1 update will fix a lot of issues. I tried beta 1 (when it was still possible), and everything was super smooth on my iPad 3. I can't wait for the update.

3. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Older iPads? No, every iPad. Even iPad air [next to my station - that's what dictation says] lacks optimization under iOS 7.

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

Perhaps true, but iOS 7 runs a lot worse on the iPad 3 than the iPad Air, so the 7.1 update is more urgent for the iPad 3. I have not tested the difference between 7.0.4 and 7.1 on the Air.

5. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

iOS 7.1 beta 2 is light years ahead of 7.0.4 on the iPad. My iPad 4 is buttery smooth when rotating with the keyboard and when using multi touch gestures.

6. Surfheart thread starter macrumors regular

Hope the rumored March release date is wrong, that sounds awesome. I've been really disappointed in the performance of iOS 7 so far.

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

As amazing as it might be to believe, for basic stuff like rotation and things, there's been really little advancement. Just in general. Procs get huge and we cram hefty graphics power into the phones but a lot of the little things go at the same speed as always.

8. RebornProphet Suspended

Agreed. Running 7.1 b2 on my iPad 4 and it's superb. Faster animations, smoother transitions, smoother rotation, no keyboard lag, and the animation on the pinch to home gesture is as is should be.

9. Surfheart thread starter macrumors regular

I did another little test tonight, boot times.

My first gen iPad running 5.1.1 beat both my air and 3 running 7.04.
    The first gen smashed my 3, at least twice as fast to boot and it was about 5 seconds faster than my air.

The performance regression in iOS 7 is very disappointing.

How are boot times on 7.1?

10. cynics macrumors G3

Boot time isn't a very fair comparison between to different OS's. While it might be a valid test if you turn off your device a lot it's not valid for comparing.

Only because it's doing different and more things. Increased functionality, security, better multitasking, etc.

I noticed a large increase in boot time going Android ICS to Jelly Bean but JB does sooooo much more it's no wonder it takes longer to load.

11. Altis macrumors 68010

OP, definitely noticed this as well. Set up original iPad as new, and moving around the UI is much more responsive. There's no major constant gaps where the touch response is inactive.

However, it's still quite slow to load apps and web pages. No contest there! Safari doesn't crash, but some web pages can really tax it out. Can still have more tabs open without refreshing though... ;)

I can't wait for the issue to be addressed finally.

12. RebornProphet Suspended

iPad 4, 7.1 b2. 27 seconds.

13. Surfheart thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's pretty quick.

14. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5S with iOS 7 is about as fast UI-wise as a 3GS with iOS 6.

15. RebornProphet Suspended

That's a massive over exaggeration and factually inaccurate. On 7.1 at least.

16. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

and on 7.0 as well, of course

17. SeenJeen macrumors regular

iOS 7.1 is solid, iOS 7.0.X is not. I can understand people when they complain about iOS 7.0.X's UI. My iPod Touch (4th gen / iOS 6) is much smoother than 7.0.X on my iPhone 4S. It shouldn't be like that.

In terms of iPad, my iPad 2 was downgraded back to iOS 6 after about a week of iOS 7. Why Apple released such half baked software is beyond me.

18. Altis macrumors 68010

He did specify GU-wise, meaning not apps loading and pages rendering. Just moving around the OS, which is much faster on iOS 6 and 5 than 7.0.x. Again, not the speed of apps and pages loading.

19. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Unless you are comparing "Boot time" :)

20. cynics macrumors G3

Touché! :)