Original iPhone 2G not getting service in area that use to have full coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Jul 8, 2009.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

My iPhone 2G has been acting wierd ever since I returned from an international trip to the UK. Upon entering the US, turning airplane mode off, the iPhone couldnt get service in Boston in the middle of Logan. (My friend next to me had an iPhone 3G and had full bars). I had to go through the settings and chose my carrier as AT&T and then toggle data roaming on/off to finally pick up service.

However since then, I can't get service at my house (whereas before I had full EDGE coverage) and it will sometime get stuck on the "dot" not displaying the "E". I keep getting one-way voice calls and dropped calls.

Is this AT&Ts fault? Or Apple's? I tried restoring my phone but no luck so far. Any thoughts as to how to fix this?

Thanks!

2. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

3. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I did try resetting Network Settings, no noticeable differences yet.

4. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

this sound like what happened to me when i accidentally racked up $1200 in international fees...opps, glad i got that one swept under the carpet..have you called AT&T to checks on your account status?

5. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

I definitely had data roaming off for the whole trip though...

6. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out it was AT&T downgrading their EDGE Networm in my area. Called AT&T to complain and they said it was 3.0 on the original iPhone that did it. I don't think so. I upgraded to the 3GS and would you know full coverage everywhere.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Before I got my 3GS I noticed by 1st gen iphone was getting very slow edge speeds. As slow as edge is having it be slower then normal was crazy. Had issue in 2x and 3x