Original Iphone as netflix player for tv

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sthax9, Dec 14, 2011.

1. sthax9 macrumors newbie

I'd like to be able to use my old original iphone as a netflix player for my tv using the tv out cable I already have, wondering what the best was to make this happen is. By player I mean using the streaming service to play videos on my tv. Jailbreak?

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. daooof macrumors regular

It would look terrible with that resolution...

3. sthax9 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

can the iphone not upscale?

5. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I guess he just wants this so why not go ahead and give the man/woman(?) what they want lol? I don't know the answer so..... If u aren't to concerned with resolution I hope u find your answer.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'd need the Apple Component or Composite out cable to connect your iPhone to the TV. And because the Netflix app doesn't allow video out on the 3Gs or older, you'll have to jailbreak it and install TVout2. It doesn't look any worse than a DVD, as long as your connection is good.

7. sthax9 thread starter macrumors newbie

TVout2 sounds like what i have been looking for. I'll let you all know what the quality looks like.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think it works best when its in the video mode. But make sure you try all three modes to make sure.

9. sthax9 thread starter macrumors newbie

well tvout2 works like a charm but i can't download the Netflix app with 3.1.2 installed on my iphone :)

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try changing the version to 3.1.3 and the build to 7E18 in the SystemVersion.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/ and restart your iPhone. That should allow it to be installed.

11. sthax9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats a bit above my paygrade. Sorry for the noobieness :)

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A few questions. Do you have iFile installed? Are you running Mac or Windows? Do you know how to SSH into your iPhone?

13. sthax9 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, mac, no.

14. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Download iFile from Cydia. It's a file browser. Use it to navigate to the location listed earlier. You can edit the plist file right in iFile. The editing can get squirrely, especially if you've never used it. Try and make a backup of the file (again using iFile) before editing it.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Download iFile from Cydia. Its a paid app, but it has a free trial. Launch it and navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and open the SystemVersion.plist, when when its open, tap on the edit button and change the "3.1.2" to "3.1.3" and the "7D11" to "7E18". Tap save, then done, then restart your iPhone. Change only those things. Netflix should now install correctly.