original iphone black rubber gasket.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleali88, Oct 21, 2008.

1. fleali88 macrumors regular

I am replacing a screen on my iphone 2g 8gb, and i noticed when i removed the old screen that the black rubber gasket surrounding the screen is broken, is there anywhere i can buy a new gasket or would it come with the new screen (hasn't come in the mail yet). thanks

2. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

3. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

so no one here knows where i could get this part or if i even need it, i just hope i wont have a light leak if i dont use one.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i dont know where u can get it cuz i have never seen one. sorry

5. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

i think its safe to say this is the ONLY part thats impossible to find for the original iphone. im still pissed

6. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

This is only anecdotal, but while I was at the Genius Bar a few nights ago, a guy walked up for an iPhone appointment. His original iPhone had its rubber gasket sticking out all along the upper right corner. I guess he was out of warranty, because the Genius offered only to "trim off the excess with wire cutters." I was kind of surprised that he even offered to do something so crude to it.

7. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

damn lol, maybe i dont need it , i mean the display is sealed pretty good ,we'll see i guess, i would feel better if i could find one somehow, any one have a old broken iphone i can buy cheap for that part lol

8. iPhone envy macrumors member

Why don't you buy a smashed non-operational phone off ebay? Get one for parts.

9. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

just put a small bead of black RTV around the area where the seal goes. When dried, it will serve the same purpose.

10. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

whats rtv?, and i would buy a broken one ,but you cant find an iphone for less than 100$ broken or not, and that lil gasket isnt worth 100$