Original iPhone Contract Ending, What Next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SkippyThorson, Dec 26, 2009.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

So my iPhone's contract runs out in February. Sure, when it ends I could just get the 3GS with the subsidized price that I would still receive from buying the first one, however, I really don't want to get one in February when a new one would be coming in June. (More than likely.)

My question is, what do I do?

Would I be able to stick with this one until June or so? For instance, could I renew my current contract for 6 months? Do I get some cheap flip phone to keep me on AT&T, so I still get the subsidy on my next iPhone? What should be my next move?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just go month to month (this is what happens once you fulfill original contract and dont change phones) and get the new iphone when ready

3. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

It's as simple as that? Alright then, thank you. I figured I'd pop in to my local AT&T Store to see what my other options are for curiosity's sake, but that's definitely what I'll end up doing anyhow. I figured they would try to make things complex, and force me to renew, pick a new plan, or get a new phone. I didn't know a month to month thing existed - that's perfect then. :)

4. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

You do not have to do anything if you want to keep your iPhone until the new one comes out. You just keep paying your bill. It will not go up or anything, and ATT will not even try to get you into a new contract. Oh you may get some mailers or emails depending on how you pay your bill, but they will not force you into a new contract. I was out of contract for over a year before I got my 3GS as I could not afford to buy a 3G when my contract expired, and when I was in the position to get it, it was January, so I decided to wait until June to see if a new one came out. As happens, it did, so I got the 3GS.

This also happened when I got the first smart phone I had, the 8525. I had been out of contract for over a year, but the Nokia candybar phone I had worked, and I never really looked or cared about getting a new one. Then I saw a commercial or something, and realized that the 8525 could replace my mp3 player, Clie and phone with one device. I got it, and 2 weeks later Apple announced the original iPhone, haha. My loss. Or not, I don't know. The 8525 was a nice phone at the time, but I really like the iPhone so much more.

Chef Jay

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant renew for 6 months only thru a cheap phone.
    If you go in the sales people like you said most likelly will want to make their commision and push you towards a new phone and contract renewal.
    Then you have to wait another 18 months to get a subsidized phone.
    Keep it together for 6-7 months or get a 3GS now, use it till the new one comes out and then you can definetelly sell it for more than you bought it and put the money towards the newer iphone.