Original iPhone data plan with Blackberry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Whorehay, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I have an original iPhone on an AT&T iPhone data plan ($20 a month). I just got a beater Blackberry 8700g that's going to be my phone in the colder months ahead.

If I entered the correct APN settings in the BlackBerry (wap.cingular, WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, etc), is that using my iPhone unlimited data or am I being charged per-use?

Thanks for the help.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

iPhone plan is meant for iPhone only. AT&T will likely remove the iPhone data from your plan automatically.

3. sallythemac Guest

As far as i know, you can't just use a plain data tariff with Blackberry. You need to have a special Blackberry tariff that covers for the extra Blackberry features, like the fact all browsing and e-mail are routed through their servers to compress the data, and PIN messaging etc. At least that is the case in UK with the UK networks - for example, O2 charge £7.50 for a plain data bolt on, but £10 for a Blackberry bolt on.

4. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

You'll be able to access the MediaNet Browser, but will lose all the great things that makes a blackberry a blackberry. Push email, BBM and PIN Messaging.

5. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

From the way i understand it (for Rogers at least) is that the blackberry data plan is somehow different than than the iphone/winmo phone data plans, which again are different than the standard wap mobile data plans!

I am told that these devices will not work on each others data plans. However winmo ( treo? htc etc ) and iphone all share the same type of plan. Has something to do with how its activated. I cant remember the technical jargon my friend was telling me she has to do when they setup the accounts.