MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fans of original iPhone game Rolando will be thrilled to hear that Rolando: Royal Edition, a remastered version of the 2008 platform-style puzzle game, is now available from the App Store on iPhone and iPad.

Rolando was one of the first games available on the iPhone back when the App Store first launched, and at the time, our sister site TouchArcade said it was among the "best games the App Store has to offer."

Rolando: Royal Edition is an overhauled version of the first Rolando game, featuring updated graphics, redesigned levels, and new mechanics. According to HandCircus, the entire game has been updated with new content.

rolando.jpg
The award-winning iPhone classic is back and better than ever! This brand-new 'Royal Edition' is a completely remastered Rolando - every interaction, every course, flower, trampoline, bomb, catapult and squirrel has been given a thorough scrub, buff and shine, making this the most gorgeous version yet!
In Rolando, the aim of the game is to guide a gang of Rolandos through traps and puzzles on a quest to save the sages from Shadow Creatures. Players use touch, tap, and tilt gestures as a control mechanism, and with the exception of new mechanics and updates to the design, original Rolando gameplay is intact.

Rolando: Royal Edition can be purchased from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Original iPhone Game 'Rolando' is Back in the App Store

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Rolando.. wow!
Back to 2008, what a wonderful time it was!
iPhone 3G, 3GS and then 4, 4s.. i cry..
Flight Control, Doodle jump, Bioshock, Toucharcade app...
No Facebook, no Instagram, no ****.
Now please make Steve come back and plant a new Apple tree... :(

Crying over Steve is not going to help. You know that there is no return from dead. Well I may be wrong, Apple managed to return at least one corpse from the grave. Eddie Cue anyone?

I miss the old gaming too

Last edited:

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Yeah one of my very first purchase after my first iPhone which was 3GS. I will buy this for my X.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Instant buy. Since this came out I got married and had two kids and now I’m excited for them to try it. Retro iPhone gaming, lol. Damn I feel old.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
So I have to pay for a game I already bought AGAIN? Screw this, and screw Apple for doing this. (but mostly the devs, since it's in their power to apply a heavy discount to previous purchasers or allow them to upgrade for free) Not buying it again, I guess. Meh, wasn't THAT AMAZING anyway... And 1/5th of it or more is a tutorial anyway...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I have to pay for a game I already bought AGAIN? Screw this, and screw Apple for doing this. (but mostly the devs, since it's in their power to apply a heavy discount to previous purchasers or allow them to upgrade for free) Not buying it again, I guess. Meh, wasn't THAT AMAZING anyway... And 1/5th of it or more is a tutorial anyway...
How is this on Apple?

Reactions: jdogg836

nitramluap

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2015

So if you bought a 2008 Chevy and you want a 2018 Chevy, you expect the car company to give it to you for free because you already bought ‘a Chevy’?

Your logic is flawed, but I guess that’s what the comment sections encourage - shoot first, think later.

Reactions: ikir

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004

Why would you think Apple is "doing this"? People need to stop blaming stores for stuff they have no control over. And guess what, if a movie came out on DVD and 10 years later it was released on Blu-ray, you had to buy it over again if you wanted it, and you didn't get a discount. (Though that analogy doesn't go far enough, since it's likely they re-did most of this from scratch. It's not a "game you already bought", it's a new game.)

--Eric

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville

I know right? I mean I already bought an iPhone but a new iPhone came out and I have to pay for it again? Ugh why!?

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
How is this on Apple?
Yeah uh.. I dunno why I said that. wth

I suppose in my annoyance I thought back to the 32 to 64 bit change, and how that disabled many apps, including this one. So indirectly, Apple gave developers a chance to just rerelease the same apps and charge for them. I guess?

But considering how often, mostly on holidays, game apps are discounted.. I guess none of this is really a big deal. It's an annoyance.

So if you bought a 2008 Chevy and you want a 2018 Chevy, you expect the car company to give it to you for free because you already bought ‘a Chevy’?

Your logic is flawed, but I guess that’s what the comment sections encourage - shoot first, think later.
but it's the same app....

Why would you think Apple is "doing this"? People need to stop blaming stores for stuff they have no control over. And guess what, if a movie came out on DVD and 10 years later it was released on Blu-ray, you had to buy it over again if you wanted it, and you didn't get a discount. (Though that analogy doesn't go far enough, since it's likely they re-did most of this from scratch. It's not a "game you already bought", it's a new game.)

--Eric
I apologize for the Apple part, but the DVD and Blu ray thing... Yeah, it's not the same thing. Again it's the same app. And this is a digital store, the same digital store I purchased it from back when.

I know right? I mean I already bought an iPhone but a new iPhone came out and I have to pay for it again? Ugh why!?
You guys are trying to make me look like I'm insane but other developers have done this. Sega, gave me the Sonic and Phantasy Star games I had already purchased in their 64bit refresh. (missed the mark with the recent Shining Force rerelease... again, same annoyance as this.. *eyeroll emoji" )
[doublepost=1554855387][/doublepost]I mean Apple could just, I dunno, rerelease it in the same App "slot" and just promote it as they already are. Have everyone who has already purchased it already have it. (they do this a lot on PC game stores like Steam too) Crazy idea I know, don't mind me....

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
You can still download the app from your purchase history and run it on the device you purchased it. If you purchased this on an iPhone 3G, then you are fully entitled to use the app on that device.

How much did you paid for this? $1.99? Do you expect the developers to work on remastering this game for free after ten years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.