Original iPhone "Hack" question. Please help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rrwrrw, Jun 20, 2010.

1. rrwrrw macrumors newbie

So, I'm normally pretty good at this sort of thing, but I just can't figure out the best way to solve the following problem. Any help would be appreciated.

So, I have been paying for my mother's family talk line of service. She had a really old dumbphone that died this weekend. She is not yet upgrade eligible (not untill February). I had an original iphone in a drawer which was never used, so I can give her that to use until February. But, when I plug it in and try to get it activated, it asks me to sign up for another 2 year contract (obviously, this isn't something I want to do since it will mess up her upgrade eligibility date). Any workaround you can think of?

I'm getting an iPhone 4 this week, hopefully. So, I was thinking of getting that phone from the store and then activating the original iphone on that line (before activating the iPhone 4 on my iTunes) so that it doesn't extend my contract (since I will sign up for a new contract on that day). Then taking out the sim and activating the iPhone 4. But, I'm afraid I will lose my unlimited plan in all of the activating and deactivating.

Any thoughts on the best workaround? Would jailbreaking anything help?

2. Cjr605 macrumors member

Take the SIM card from the phone the broke and put it into the iphone. iPhone SIM cards are at the top, by the lock button. Take a paperclip, stick it into the small hole, and the tray should pop out. Remove the old SIM card from the tray and put the new one on it (in the correct rotation, of course). Slide it in, and it should work because the old SIM card is still technically activated on AT&T's network (unless, of course, it wasn't an AT&T phone. Then this may not work.)