Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2022
Hi,

I am hoping someone here with more experience that me can help.

While moving I found my original iPhone 1st Gen, it's a bit scratched but still turns on.

The issue is I remember trying to jailbreak it back in the day and it failed. I think it was the carrier unlock portion that actually broke things. Anyway, not something I have done for many years and wished I hadn't on this device.

When I power on the device it shows this screen and gets no further.

IMG_6693.JPG

I have tried putting the device into Recovery Mode and DFU mode and restoring via iTunes. In both modes I get a message saying "This iPhone was previously in DFU mode, but restarted and is no longer in DFU mode. To restore this iPhone from DFU mode, disconnect it and place it in DFU mode again."

I have put it in DFU mode and it sits at the black screen, so I assume it's correctly in DFU mode and I get the same message as above.

Can anyone suggest any way of getting it back to factory defaults?

Thanks in advance

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I remember this happening to mine way back when. I tried everything but couldn’t fix it. I ended up returning it to Apple and they exchanged it. This was back before anyone was wise about jailbreaking. Maybe post this in the jailbreak sub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.