Original iPhone & iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gatorknight904, Nov 5, 2017.

1. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502a

gatorknight904

Found my first iPhone at my parents house. Crazy how much design has changed/progressed in 10 years.

72299E3C-D22E-4B3E-A126-0CD79D2A01CB.jpeg 01E225F3-A0F3-40E3-9AD6-91C9F660C795.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Nice! Thanks for sharing. The X is definitely a radical departure from the original.

3. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Looks like original melted and spread out thinner and bleached in the sunlight.:D

4. Greg M macrumors 6502

The same basic design. Of coarse with improvements in technology there are differences but it's hardly a radical change. Still iOS, a touch screen, camera, and apps. The original iPhone was THE radical change!!!

5. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

Agreed. The phones are 90% the same in terms of design. The way we fundamentally interact with our phones are literally the same. No true radical innovation in last 10 years. The original iPhone was the biggest seismic innovation in tech history. Apple will be hard pressed to surpass that again with the iPhone line. Maybe another product will come along, but probably touch screen phones r here to stay forever

6. Greg M macrumors 6502

I remember what got me to buy the first iPhone a few days after launch, being able to scroll through contacts and touch the number I wanted to call. The phone that it replaced was such a pain to enter and use contacts.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Definitely a throwback homage from the original. Silver X ftw!

8. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I'm old school, so I prefer the original design better even if it is considered fat by today's standards. It was actually as thin as the Motorola RAZR. Anything bigger than 8-9 mm is considered chubby now.

That angle you took it looks good with the silver X because of the og's edges too. They both shine nicely. My SE looks better next to the space gray X because black matches well with any color.

I remember putting my space gray side-by-side with both and just ended up liking the space gray X. Quite an upset considering silver was winning by a huge margin.

Both X will scratch and show fingerprints but the silver X will be the worse offender while space gray will be worse with fingerprints. The sg X will hide scratches better under most indoor lighting. But OLED and all black just makes everything look seamless.

Favorite iPhone designs
    1. 5s
    2. SE
    3. 2G

I like metal rears. I lost my love for the 4 series when I used to think the iPhone 4 was the most beautiful iPhone ever. The 5 series refined it and perfected the 4 series. From underclassmen to senior year with the 5s.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's definitely interesting to see all the changes after 10 years, but interestingly enough, Apple somehow still has retained similar features that resemble the first generation iPhone. Almost traditional looking in some ways, with the iPhone X being futuristic.

10. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness? Oooooh, look out! I'm going! Oooooh! Ooooooh!
    :mad::eek:

11. allthingsapple! macrumors regular

12. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Looks the same to me. This tells you exactly how well designed the original was. I doubt Apple will ever go away from the same basic design, it's just classic.

13. PPCmike macrumors regular

I had my old first gen iphone around someplace it's funny I looked how tiny the screen was and thinking wow we went crazy over this.

14. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

OP, thanks for sharing!! Love the homage to the OG in the Silver X!!

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I still use my 3G a few times a week, Some of the old 32bit Applications are more fun on classic, non Retina hardware.

While the hardware has changed, it is somewhat funny how little Springboard (the launcher) has, when you look it at face value. Digging deeper (3D Touch, contextual menus, folders, etc) it has improved .

0623B370-EA15-4BE9-927D-A49828BF8FFC.jpeg

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

I wouldn't have it any other way. Why wouldn't I want my iPhone to be running iOS?

17. sigomez macrumors regular