Original iPhone! Is it worth unlocking? has latest software

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by julianna1973, Oct 14, 2008.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I have been told there is no valid reason to unlock it "now"!! Dont know why i was told that so im asking here.

I have a 3g iPhone now but it would be great for my hubby to use the original but would need it unlocked as he is on different network! He wouldnt want an O2 sim anyway as the network can be dodgy in certain places!

Just to confirm..will an unlocked iphone still allow me to transfer itunes libraries, purchased as well(tv series also)?

:p

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I can't imagine why someone would NOT want to Jailbreak/unlock their iPhone. I have done both and am very happy. To answer your question regarding Apps, movies, TV shows, etc:

Yes. Everything will continue to function just like a "stock" iPhone.

3. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

JailBreak/unlock

I assumed that jailbreak was the same as unlocking. Whats the difference?:confused:

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Unlocking is when you are able to use the phone on ANY GSM carrier. (ANY Country.Jailbreaking is when you can fully customize the phone and pretty much do everything that Apple doesn't want you to do..besides using it on any carrier.

5. cswarthout macrumors newbie

Why do you want to unlock it? If you don't need the phone unlocked, then don't.

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Just to expand on the Jailbreaking definition:

It allows you to customize the user interface (new icons instead of the stock iPhone icons), install applications that are not available from the App store (and may never be) such as Nintendo emulators, video recorders and sound customization to name a few.

Very fun stuff.

7. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

You obviously didnt read the part where i said it would be for my hubby to use on his different network!