Original Iphone is way better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian.kirby, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian.kirby macrumors newbie

It seems to me that the original Iphone has been kind of foreshadowed by the 3G but I think that the original has become a sort of status symbol because the people that have one had to pay a lot more money to get one. When people see that I have the original they definitely look at it differently because I paid $500 for it in the beginning as opposed to all the people that have all of a sudden jumped on the Iphone wagon hoping to be just as cool as the original owners. I think that even though at first the 3G was all that, now that everyone and their brother has one the original is way cooler to have. What do you think?

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

/suicide

DOES THIS HAVE ANY DISCUSSION VALUE AT ALL?! CAN I GET A NUMBER CRUNCH ON THAT ONE!?

0% > THIS TOPIC > 1%

I have both phones and I could give a crap about what other people think. I bought them both because of the fact that they are an amazing devices that I use very practically...not tote them around as a status symbol. I bought my 3G after my original iPhone because of the new features which are of use to me, and not once did I stop to think about how having one would make me look.

If that's your mindset your on the wrong forums man. Here we love Apple products for their ease of use, acuteness, power, speed, companionship (on some level we need them), and beauty of DESIGN.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Whatever. I don't buy phones (or any electronic/computer gear) as status symbols.

As much as I love Apple products and loved the design, I didn't buy the original iPhone because AT&T's non-3G in this area sucks, and I didn't want to be plagued with constant dropped calls on a PHONE. Once they announced the 3G, I decided to go for it, because 3G service is good and getting better in my area.

I don't care how many people bought the 3G, I'm happy with mine.

4. Phishphan79 macrumors newbie

Agreed

I gotta say that I tend to agree with this. It's true though-- everyone and their mom will have the iPhone 3G and when I see someone who has an "original" I have a bit more of a connection with them. I guess it's kind of like being a die hard cubs fan, thru the thick and thin, then they make it to the playoffs and everyone else becomes a fan. (of course, this is only for demonstration purposes as this will likely never happen, unfortunately) But I'm sure you get the gist. On another note, I was at best buy the other day looking around for a better headset for my iPhone and one of the salesguys asked if it was the iPhone 3G. I proudly declared that my phone was an original and he simply replied with an enthusiastic and what I would consider respectful "Niiiice..."

:apple:

5. impact_blue macrumors regular

That's the most douchebag statement I've heard here on MacRumors. Who cares which one your rock. You must be a hypebeast.

6. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

i have full antena in my room with 2G but only 2 bars w/ 3G....
    i regret purchasing 3G iphone. it makes lots of problems..

7. svndmvn Guest

I hope you are wrong, iPhones or other Apple products shouldn't be about how much people payed for them..
    Here in Europe,actually,you could have an original iPhone off of ebay or bought in the US for about 300Euros, now you have to pay 499Euros for an 8Gig that's unlocked..$750 that is
    to nakamuramori2: be happy with your purchase,I'm trying to,think about when you're not in your room and of the fact that if you had problems with your 2G you would have to pay for repairs/assistance,while for the 3G as long as your problems are hardware related you still have about 10 months of free assistance,right?

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the SECOND most douche bag statement. Its sad.. why dont all you guys go out and get big cars to overcompensate like a normal guy.

9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Lol...people are gonna seriously come at you for this elitist post but i cant deny that its somewhat true based on my experience with people.

It happened with the iPod as well. I knew someone who had the original 1st gen iPod and everyone wanted to play with it because it was unique compared to the 4G models shipping at the time

In the end it doesn't matter though, both (iPhone) models are great devices...regardless of perceived status

11. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

Hahaa, wow. Thank you sir, you just made my day. :)

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

If you need to purchase a phone as status symbol, chances are you are pretty low on the social totem pole.

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I loved my first iphone but when i got stationed to japan, it no workie. So when i got the chance to have an iphone in japan(3G) i scooped one up. Who am i kidding i woulda bought the new iphone anyways:D

but i guess that i should carry both iphone with me and hold one up to each ear so everyone sees how cool i really am. If i walk around to where everyone can see that i have both i will have SO MANY FRIENDS!!:cool:

14. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

It's kinda like showing off your BMW M3 to folks who can't tell the difference between the M3 and the 325 and don't even care. Those who _can_ are your fellow M3 owners. :D

15. Naked Snake macrumors member

Well I had to pay 499 for my iPhone 3g. I didn't jump on the iPhone band wagon. I've loved it ever since it was first released. I've waited so long to buy an iPhone and decided to wait for the 3g when it was announced. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one.

16. saxman macrumors 6502

I wonder if I can apply this reasoning to my 12" PB? It was the lightest, smallest laptop Apple made until the Air. So when people see my PB they think, "wow, even though that's older technology, I bet he's cooler because he had the _original_ small, light, Apple notebook."

Nope... doesn't work here either. I do love my PB, but it doesn't make me cooler

17. pj rage macrumors 6502

When I see an original iphone user, I feel bad for them. They paid more than me and they don't have 3G or gps. Sucks for them ;):p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.