Original iPhone Not Receiving Calls/Texts with Push On

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Whorehay, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I've upgraded my original iPhone (2G) to 3.0. For a couple of days after the upgrade, I haven't been receiving any calls or texts. I heard a lot of EDGE data going through my speakers (the buzzing), the phone was getting overly hot, and the battery went down like crazy.

And I then restored it, and I started receiving calls again. So I figured it had something to do with the push (constantly polling) email and push notifications. It turns out that push is the reason I can't receive phone calls. (Turn push email/notification on, can't receive phone calls, turn push off, receive phone calls/texts).

I don't remember this ever happening in the older firmwares though? I had push Yahoo accounts before... they've never behaved like this.

I know data and phone calls cannot flow together on EDGE, but it is odd because when I turn push on, phone calls do not go straight to voice mail; it rings 4-5 times before it does. Texts just vanish until days later. I got 16 texts today-- that were from Saturday. What's worse is when I turn EDGE off in SBSettings/BossPrefs, whether I'm on WiFi or not, this phenomenon still happens. I can still hear the buzzing in the speakers with EDGE off/WiFi on/Push On.

The phone was unlocked back in the day using PwnageTool (for when I was on T-mobile,) but then I switched to AT&T with the iPhone plan, and now I'm on AT&T with a BlackBerry plan. Now I just use the iPhone for casual weekend surfing and games.

I still have AppleCare until next week, does this problem warrant a new phone? My friend with an original iPhone had the same settings as mine, and his calls/texts go through so I'm stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. satrop macrumors newbie

Good day my fried!

I am in the same exactly the same boat! Problems with, not being able to receive calls or texts with push turned on, overheating, extremely quick battery drain and the OS being really slow. I to have a Pwned iPhone 2G. I am following some instructing I got from my friend that works for apple and as I type this I am trying again with the 3.0 OS. If all goes to plan or not I will let you know either way. Come back in about 10 and I'll let you know.

Wish me luck!

3. satrop macrumors newbie

So far... no joy with the phone calls, I still have to have push mail off. Will test other things and let you know how I get on.

4. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Push mail requires a constant internet connection, I'm guessing because its 1st gen it cannot simultaneously do data and voice/sms at the same time. Quite weird that it doesn't just disrupt that data when its a call/message.

5. Whorehay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Yes, but I've never had problems with Yahoo push before this 3.0 upgrade. It never did the buzzing in the speakers constantly... I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I've ever missed a phone call on EDGE, even when in Pandora, Maps, or Safari.

I'm almost 100% sure it has something to do with 3.0 and the way it handles the push mail for people on EDGE.

6. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Probably a bug I think, I can't test it at the moment as haven't got an original iPhone to test on. I'm guessing its fine when you use wi-fi for push notifications. Must just be a bug.

7. satrop macrumors newbie

The testing goes on! Sigh! Still ont able to recieve calls with push on this goes for phone being on Edge or WiFi. Push does NOT need a constant connection hence "push" email goes to server and then server fources aka pushes mail to your phone. Much in the same way you recieve a text message. I to get the constant "buzzing" in my speakers when push is turned on. This must be some sort of bug? I did have it all working fine for about 10 minuets, push was on and I could get calls this was after I turned the phone off and than back on again. But on the good side the over heating has stopped, the lag is there NO more and the battery is still holding strong. I think I will leave 3.0 on here and wait for a fix for the push to start working again. On a side note and a majour downer whilst upgrading to 3.0 I lost my stop watch count. It had been going for 6700 hours. About 280 days. Boooooooooo!

8. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

well the original iPhones are GSM only. Which cannot simultaneously transmit voice and data.

9. nightelf macrumors 6502

Im having the same issue. Had to delete my MobileMe account and AIM (with push notifications).

10. satrop macrumors newbie

That can't be right. I have the 1st gen iPhone. I have had my MobileMe account on it for a while (from 2.1) and I always had push on and I would always get incoming calls. So again I don't think it just a hardware issue alone. It has to be 3.0 and the hardware ont playing ball.

11. Whorehay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Wonder if its a Pwned issue, although my friend does not have problems receiving calls when push is on.

12. satrop macrumors newbie

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

data connection

I don't think a "constant data connection" is what makes PUSH work.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

There is a problem is with jailbroken phones and push notifications. The hacktivation process creates an invalid machine certificate and when it tries to make the initial connection to the push servers it is refused. The phone then repeatedly makes connection attempts and is repeatedly refused. This leads to low battery life, hot running and, because the data connection attempt is continually retrying, no voice calls on 2g getting through.

15. satrop macrumors newbie

That's good to know! At least I can have some clouser on the matter. Let's hope the Dev Team know about this and are ablem to fix the problem. I'll hit them up and see what they say.

Thanks for finding out the issue.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Glad to help, but I can't take credit for the discovery ;)
    I read about it somewhere on the Internet (think it was on Beejives forums amongst other places) and I think the Dev Team are aware of it

17. Relik macrumors newbie

Someone on my forum had this issue and made me aware of this thread. Sorry for replying to an old thread, but people are still finding it and I thought they would like to know that there is a solution.

What is happening is that the push service on the phone is in a loop trying to establish a connection with the push servers. This happens with an invalid key/cert which has errors in it, not to be confused with a shared key like in most Cydia packages. A shared key allows proper SSL handshake to the push servers but results in little if any push messages getting through. The invalid key causes the push servers to close the connection because of handshake failure, upon which the push service on the phone immediately retries.

More info in my forum here : http://pushfix.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20

Important note to all. Push email such as Exchange mail, Yahoo push mail, or MobileMe on the iPhone have nothing to do with push notifications. Jailbroken/unlocked users do not need a unique certificate to receive push email.