Original iPhone on T-Mobile issues

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sunenihs, Oct 4, 2011.

1. sunenihs macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been scouring the internet for a couple days trying to get my original iPhone to work on T-Mobile. I originally found this post, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=728031 - though it gave me a good start, unfortunately it has not worked. Let me give you the skinny on what I've done so far:

I do not have access to control the APN settings. I have gotten the "APN Editing" tweak through Cydia (didn't work) I tried using OpenSSH with WinSCP as well as using Notepad++, I eventually found the TMobile US carrier bundle but the carrier.plist was already correctly edited to allow APN settings. (Refer to http://www.simonblog.com/2009/09/07...-editing-on-jailbroken-iphone/#comment-233475 for what I was trying to do)

It seems that some people have it so easy, pop in the SIM card and away you go! One thing I don't know if this makes a difference or not - when I got this phone the SIM tray was missing. I ordered one online - however, is there a certain SIM tray I would have to use? This one fit just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

2. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

the sim tray for 3GS and 4 is not the same, so it wont work if you order a sim tray for the 3GS. But if you order the sim tray for the 4, then you are good to go.

If it is a micro sim it is a for a iPhone 4
    If it is a regular sim, then its for a iPhone 3G/3GS

JunkyDog

3. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Junky - but it's the original iPhone, not the 3GS.

4. JunkyDog, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

JunkyDog macrumors 6502

orginal iPhone????

Is it a iPhone 4 or not?

EDIT: Is this by any chance a CDMA iPhone without a simslot, if so, you cant just order a simtray if your iPhone does not have one.

EDIT: Read this thread please: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1211718

5. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

Original iPhone as in the first model ever made - in 2007. So no, not an iPhone 4. It has a SIM slot in the top - since replaced with a T-Mobile SIM card and a new tray.

This phone has already been jailbroken and unlocked.

6. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

7. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

8. WildGuess macrumors regular

This could be, ahem, a wild guess: You are not unlocked on 3.1.3. Unlock goes up to 3.1.2. Please recheck.

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The iPhone 2G is ALWAYS unlockable, on any firmware, forever.

10. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

I attach the screenshot, it shows 3.1.3

[​IMG]

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

use Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak & unlock it at the same time. If you need instruction, go to www.iclarified.com for tutorial.

12. WildGuess macrumors regular

What he said. I have two original phones. Both altered with redsn0w and 3.1.2 IPSW. That's the way it worked for me.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Are you high?

Yes! Unlocked one on 3.1.3 only to find out the hard way that my carrier doesn't support 2G GSM. Oh well!

14. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try this - off the top of my head I can't recall what I used to unlock in the first place. Thanks for the help - I'll be back if it doesn't work :D

15. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

This simply didn't work :( I used Redsn0w 0.9.4 and the unlock/jailbreak went fine - but it still is saying "No SIM" - I am perplexed..do I need to be able to edit the APN settings in order for this to work? (which I also can't seem to get to work)

I've found all kinds of instructions on how to edit the carrier lists in order for this phone to allow editing of the APN settings but to no avail so far.

Any help whatsoever is very much appreciated. Thanks!

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:D
    What do you mean. The 2G iPhone is not CDMA?

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If your phone is saying "No sim", then it is a hardward failure where your phone can't detect a sim when it is in. It has nothing to do with jailbreaking/unlocking the phone.

----------

Kids....I still have a GSM brick where they used back in 1980's. i brought it into the office the other day. kids (25 - 26) did not know what it was until I told them I was using it before. You should look at their face reaction at that time? they did not believe the phone was that big before :D

18. sunenihs thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh boy, I didn't even think about this. I guess that's definitely possible, but I got this phone from a friend who just popped out the card and handed me the phone.

I also don't understand why I can't get the APN settings to show up either. Sigh.

I am going to try a couple more things but might just give up soon.

Thanks for all your help!