original iPhone speaker doesn't work sporatically

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ridingnowhere85, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ridingnowhere85 macrumors newbie

I have an original iPhone i bought used from a friend. it's in good physical condition, and works perfectly, but I am having one problem: the speaker will stop working occasionally

never in a call, but when it's supposed to ring or make a sound, sometimes, it just vibrates. this wouldn't be any more than an annoyance, except that it's also my alarm clock. I've been late to work 3 times in the last week.

I noticed this problem about 3 weeks ago, but it is becoming a lot more frequent, and seems to favor doing it when the alarms on. it started doing it maybe 3% of the time, but now does it maybe 45% of the time.

any hints or fixes? i've tried restarting it when i have the issue, but that doesn't really do anything.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I would sync the iPhone to your computer and then Restore it from iTunes. If you don't have a lot of notes/saved games/settings or if they aren't important, I would also suggest, after it is restored, "setting it up as a new phone" as opposed to "restoring from backup". This will ensure that a clean firmware gets installed with no potentially corrupt data from the backup. Otherwise, restoring it from a backup will still be a good place to start.