Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WVUAppleSeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
So, I have had my original iPhone since August, and I am well within my 1 year warranty...

In about October, I noticed a bunch of dead pixels at the bottom of my screen. I am not sure how it happened, but they are there.

On Memorial Day weekend I go to answer my phone and there is a crack on the screen near (from the home button to the bottom edge of the phone).

From what I understand dead pixels are covered in the warranty so my questions are:

1. Will AT&T or Apple replace my current iPhone with an original or a 3G (Apple says they have discontinued the original)
2. Will they see the crack which has only been there for 2 months and think that I dropped it which is accidental and not covered, and relate it to the dead pixels (which is definitely a separate issue).
3. Should I take it to Apple or AT&T?

Any help or advice would be great. I think I'm going to take it to the Apple store since they always seem to understand the phone better.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
IF and I say IF since it has a crack and they'll see that it has been dropped they will replace it with the 2G version, not the new 3G one Apple will have plenty of stock to replace the 2G phones for a good while to come.

Your best bet is to take it to an Apple Store, at&t most likely will just ship it off to be repaired and IF Apple will replace it they will replace it on the spot.

WVUAppleSeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
So, if I tell them that I dropped it and that is why i have the crack, they will be okay with it? Something is telling me that if I tell them I dropped it, it will void the warranty for some reason.

Thanks for the tip though!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.