Original iPhone with no Sim card Activation Not available Anyone willing help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ouimetnick, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Okay,
    I got a new Original iPhone today. Advance Replacement. I use it as an iPod touch with out the phone. I know I need a SIm, so I borrowed my brother's at&t sim from his iPhone 3G. I've borrowed it before, when I had to update or restore my iPhone. But when I put the sim in the iPhone and connect to iTunes, It says activation is not available at this time and to try it again later.

How could that be. The 3GS launched June 19, 2009! Shouldn't the hype have died down by now? How can Apple not have enough activation servers. They know the iPhone is in 80 countries and over 25 million have been sold. What to do?
    Are Apple's Servers down? How long are they normally down for?

Also, an Apple rep said that If I go to an at&t store, buy a unactivated sim card and stick it in my iPhone, I can unbrick my iPhone, buy it I won't have to activate with at&t. Two reps said that would be possible with the Original iPhone. When I was on 2.1, i tried that and I had to activate with at&t, but a cancelled with at&t with in 30 days, so I was good to go. Has this changed with the new iphone OS 3.0?
    Can anyone confirm that you can buy a blank at&t sim card, stick it into an Original iPhone and activate the ipod features and everything with out activating with at&t.

I DON'T WANT TO JAILBREAK MY IPHONE. SO PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST/RECOMMEND ME TO JAILBREAK MY IPHONE.

Thank You,
    ouimetnick

Attached Files:

2. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Anyone here to help.

Anyone? I do need help?
    When I connect iPhone to my PC, iTunes says Activations are unavaible at this time. Try again later. You may no disconect you iPhone. Well Apple, my iPhone is still not unbricked. It still says slide for emergency. Why does Apple have to do this to people. I don't even think too many people have the Original iPhone, so go easy on the few people with the original iPhone.

Can anyone answer the question regarding using a blank at&t sim card and bypassing the slide for emergency screen with out opening an AT&T account and HACKING THE IPHONE?

I'm not trying to be rude by uppercasing the last sentence, just trimg to make it stand out.
    Thank you everyone and have a happy 4th of July.

3. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

It would be so easy if you just jailbroke the phone....

5. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

why not just unlock it with redsn0w? it takes like 2 minutes and you dont have to worry about sim cards at all...

6. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Because I bricked my brother's iPod touch 2G 32GB with redsnow.

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It is just about impossible to "brick" the 2G phone.

Yes, the process can go wrong from time to time, but you just DFU the phone and restore to stock before starting it again. And RedSn0w does make it really really easy.

I don't know why you're getting the iTunes message that you are but you could avoid all the hassle by using RedSn0w. But if you don't want to then good luck with getting on an activation server soon. (BTW, are you sure it's not your internet that's down? Just a thought.)

8. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

The only way is to jailbreak the phone. It's very easy on a 2G, I did it on mine before selling having never done it before and I was surprised with how easy it was.

9. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Internet is working. I can use the iTunes Store, just can use my phone.
    I know it is a bit embarrassing not wanting to jailbreak, I just like my phone to have the legit iphone OS from Apple. I might try, when my warranty expires though.

10. thelordnyax macrumors regular

like the apple rep said, go to at&t, and ask for an unactivated SIM card...i'm not sure how willing they are to give these away...but it's definitely worth a try, then you should be able to pop tha tin the iPhone, and use it