Original ipod video got wet...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jorgecuatro, Sep 17, 2010.

  1. jorgecuatro macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    #1
    my perfectly running ipod video 30gb had minimal water drop onto it mainly on clickwheel and/or bottom connection port.

    it turned on, then shut off. i let it dry overnight, turned on, no sound, video worked. when i selected a song to play, it acted as if it were paused.

    shut off and nothing again. nothing when plugged in.

    i split it open, was slightly damp, has sat opened to dry for several days and still nothing.


    help!
     
  2. BrennerM macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Location:
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    #2
    Put in a sealed container with rice to absorb the water. Leave it there for a week at least, ideally in a warm dry place. Cross your fingers when you fire it up after that!
     
  3. jorgecuatro thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    #3
    Im thinking something is up with the battery since it fired twice before. its been open on the seat of my car and only getting about 75 degrees in there. but internally i cannot find water at all. there was maybe a teaspoon of water to make contact with it
     
  4. TJRiver macrumors 6502

    TJRiver

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #4
    A teaspoon of water in the wrong place is as bad as a deluge. Your problem is described in your origional posting, e.g. you only waited a relatively short period of time to turn your device back on. A closer inspection revealed the device was still wet inside. Turning on the iPod with the internals wet will cause assorted short circuits and other bad things.

    Follow the other poster's ideas to dry the iPod out completely, then see if she fires up. If not, then you need to do the old "do I get it fixed or throw it away" analysis. I love my 5th gen iPod, I just wish it had more space....:D
     
  5. jorgecuatro thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    #5
    odd thing is before i opened it up is it fired up perfectly, still had all my files, justr didnt produce sound. i then shut it off and proceeded to open it up. i just opened it and laid it down.
     
  6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #6
    Time for a new one.
     
  7. jorgecuatro thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    #7
    could it be a battery? although it does nothing when plugged in. actually i didnt connect to laptop, just my car.
     
  8. Kalebleo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    #8
    Zunes are the best. Ive had mine since they first came out, nothing ever happened to it. I highly recommend it. I even dropped mine once and nothing happened to it, never.
     
  9. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

    Fast/Furious

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #9
    You could also take a dump on it and nobody would notice a difference. :D Durable, aren't they?
     
  10. jorgecuatro thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    #10
    so i have a disassmebled ipod in front of me.

    what to do. i think its battery related
     
  11. aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #11
    In case you can't revive it, you can "trade it in" at Apple and get 10% off the price of a new iPod, or Apple can do an out-of-warranty replacement for somewhere between $100 and $200 (each generation is different).
     
  12. jorgecuatro thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    #12
    not worth the 10-15 in savings to me. i think its the battery. i will find another battery and give it a try.
     
  13. chown33 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #13
    If you think it's the battery, as you keep saying, then simply test the battery:
    1. Get a voltmeter.
    2. Measure the battery voltage.
    3. Interpret the measurement.

    There's really no way anyone can reach through their computer, attach a voltmeter to your disassembled ipod, read the meter, then tell you whether it's the battery or not.

    If you don't know how to use a voltmeter or interpret what it tells you, then you really can't do anything but replace parts and see if it fixes things. If you replace the battery and it starts working, then you probably guessed right. Otherwise you didn't.
     

Share This Page