Original Mac OS X Install Disc Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by barcafan1990, Mar 10, 2009.

1. barcafan1990 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I was just happening to look for my original discs that came with my MacBook i bought one and a half years ago. But I only found one disc that read "Mac OS X Install Disc 2." So I'm assuming, and correct me if im wrong because this is my question, that I'm missing a disc. What exactly do these discs contain, specifically the one that I think I'm missing (im guessing disc 1)?

The reason I ask is because when I first got the MacBook i installed XP with bootcamp and I just wanted to reinstall XP or maybe even try Windows 7. Will I need both these discs, or are they only for reinstalling Leopard? I cant quite remember how it went when I installed XP, but Im pretty sure I had to use one of these original discs during the installation process, for the Windows drivers or something, right?

I know I'm asking alot of questions, but here is my main concern:

For the sake of installing/reinstalling Windows THROUGH Bootcamp, do I need to find the other disc?

AND, if I do need it (Lets say I cant find it for sure), what is the best way of obtaining a LEGITIMATE copy of these Leopard discs? ....by "best way" I mean cheapest way...through Apple,? or another way?

Thank You in advance for your help.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Disc one contains the OS, so it is essential. The best way to replace it is probably on eBay. Make sure you get the retail version or a version that is for your EXACT computer.

3. barcafan1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thankyou emt. Thats what I was worried about....getting correct disc if needed.

So i was researching and Im almost certain the version was 10.5.1 when I got mine, so is that what you mean by getting the right one for my computer?

And if i cant get this version, Ill just have to by the most recent one and reinstall Leopard alltogether?

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

No, you want to get one for your specific computer. If it's a early 2008 MB, then you need to get the disc for early 2008 MBs... or you could just get a retail disk which will work on any computer

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Contact Apple. They'll usually be able to send you the exact disc for your machine for a nominal fee.

6. barcafan1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry Im not understanding what you mean by one
    ?

Do you mean for my model....which is an Intel MacBook?

If I cant find my original discs, how would I find one for my "specific computer?"

7. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

Just to make things simpler:

Just get the retail version. It'll work on any model. You won't have to deal with making sure you get the one for your "specific computer"

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You would read the eBay or seller description to see which machine the disk was originally bundled with. For example, an iBook install disc won't work on a Macbook. A Macbook Pro install disc won't work on a Macbook. Etc.

Just buy a retail version.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Or just do what WildCowboy suggested- as Apple can provide exact replacement System Restore disks with a much lower price tag. When you call to request them, they use your serial number to insure that you get the exact same disks as the ones that shipped with your particular Mac with no eBay hassles and often cheaper than there too. I don't know if they sell only the disk 1 since I have never tried to order that way, but a two disk set is normally $32 shipped, so a lot better than the $129 or so for a retail installer or having to worry about getting the right set on eBay.;)

10. durija macrumors 6502

Do as WildCowboy says. It will be cheap and you'll be sure to get a working disk. Avoid EBAY. A lot of people get disks that won't work that way. You see it all the time on these forums.

11. barcafan1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all then...i guess ill be looking forward to contacting apple.

Any suggestions as to get a hold of them or is it just easier to visit a Mac store?

PS Yes my warranty is out.

Thanks

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have always ordered replacement System Restore disks by phone and they usually only take 3 or 4 days to arrive. I really would not expect every store to have all the dozens (hundreds?) of variations of sets available on hand.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Even if your warranty is gone, they will still provide you with replacement discs.

And, don't bother going to an Apple Store. They don't carry replacement discs on hand (usually).

Just call Apple. Simplest way.