Original Macbook Air 2008 A1237

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Greenow182, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Greenow182 macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post so I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong area.

I have an origional MacBook Air. It broke not so long ago when switching out the hard drive. I think I've damaged the flex cable for the hard drive. Anyway, got a new one on the way.
    I was wondering if its possible and any faster to use a Compact Flash as the hard drive? I'm looking at buying a 32gb Compact Flash plus the Zif 1.8" housing to fit it into the slot.

I just wondered wether this would give me good results at all or wether it would be slow and temperamental?

Anyone got any experience doing this?

I'm just using the laptop for writing. It's not going to be used for any big jobs.

I realize an SSD hard drive would be ideal but they're expensive and this solution is relatively cheap to do.

Any hints tips or better ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

Ignoring the issue of would it work, a HD is way faster than CF cards. Also 32GB is going to be a tight fit probably too tight. OS X requires some free space on the system drive. Normally it is quoted as 10-20% of the total drive size. In the case of a 32GB drive it'll need 20% minimum free space and possibly more.