Original MacBook Air Still a "Decent" Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Derrick Velasco, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

Our family (especially in our economy) is not doing well financially, Does the 80GB 1.6GHz MacBook Air sound good for a 17 year old kid who needs a computer? I need a new computer, we have a pro, and an old iMac..
    So really what my question is, does the old MacBook Air have bang for the $1,249.99 that it is?
    We just cannot afford the new Air, we need a new computer anyhow..
    (I don't like the new MacBook) :(

[​IMG]

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No a MBA is waay too overpriced for what it does. You are paying for it's form factor. It's capabilities are significantly less than a macbook which is considerably cheaper. I would go for a macbook (the old one) if you like it.

3. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

I'm such an idiot and your so right, but I'm so in love with the MacBook Air's Design, it's absolutely gorgeous. I love the Air...
    It's design makes it ideal..

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the Air is indeed a beautiful computer. But neither its beauty nor specs warrants you to purchase it if your family's financial situation is not doing too well.

Trust me, I own an air and would say as lovely as it is, its still just a computer and is not worth racking up more debt for or for it to take up family resources which can be used for more important things.

If you do indeed a new computer, a refurb macbook will be ideal. You won't be disappointed with it and it'll do almost everything you throw at it.

When things get better, you can get an Air :)

5. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG] bravo!! *clap* *clap* *clap* Quality post. Thank you so much! Great advice.

6. justit macrumors 6502a

kudos

The black macbook is also a looker and can be found easily under $1K.

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

No it does not. It did not, even when it was current. It is very much a luxury item. Since the question is about bang-for-the-buck, the Macbook is the best solution. A refurb probably has the most bang. I have a refurb and it is as good as new or better.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

As a portable to run productivity apps along with Safari, iTunes, Mail and the like, the MBA has no speed issues at all. A faster machine won't buy you anything for these sorts of tasks. And yeah, the size and weight are the bang, and the MBA has still got that bang in spades.

I use it out of the house 4 days a week, and this is much more than just a fashion item unless you don't need a supremely portable Mac. If you don't need a super portable, consider the old MacBook or even a white C2D iMac (a great machine!).

9. mykoljay macrumors member

My personal feelings is that if your family is having financial problems, get a hp or dell for 400-500 dollars. Crazy deals around with this recession.

I own a MB Air, but I can afford it at 28 yrs old. If he works, tell him you'll go in on a Mac with him. Just my opinion. Good luck.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have to agree with zer0tails; unless absolute portability is a must, go for the MB, better still a refurb MB, which will meet both your needs and those of your family rather better in these straitened times.

Cheers and good luck

11. cube macrumors G5

When was such a crippled and overpriced netbook decent?

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

As the others have suggested a more realistic choice for your situation would be a new White Macbook. You could add more RAM and still get it under the cost of the low end Macbook Air. If you went the Refurb route you would save even more money.

A new White Macbook with 2GB of RAM from Apple is $1,074.

13. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your recommendations. But, I...I need the Air..
    Does anyone know if there selling the old ones for?
    $1.1xx? Around that price range?

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It looks like you have your mind made up already. :p

For the Ultraportable market, the old MacBook Air for that 1150(ish) price from MacMall is a good price.

But that is the ultraportable market, and you'll find a better deal outside of it, if your looking for a long term work horse to last you a while, you could look else where.(MacBook if your look for OS X, else where if you looking Windows/Linux) Or if you want something portable and small, a netbook(if your not doing to many system intensive things) are very nice, but no (legit) OS X support

But if the Air is what you want, its a darn fine computer, and people have used much slower computer.

15. descartes macrumors 6502

check the refurbs on apple.com and craigslist. I have seen used Rev A MBA for under 1k.

16. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

If you use the live.com discount on ebay BIN, you can score one for around 1k if you scour.

17. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Find someone with an Apple EPP discount - the Refurb Air 1.6Ghz 80GB HDD is $999 there. And comes with full Apple warranty :D