Original MacBook - Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TreyCox, May 16, 2012.

1. TreyCox macrumors regular

So I have a chance to buy an original MacBook. May 2006. It's the black version - highest priced MacBook at time of release. $1499 retail prive when new. It has a 2ghz core duo and 80gb hard drive, etc. I can get it for $150.00 with no charger.

So my question is this: Is it worth it? I will also install XP on it via bootcamp because the software i use for my vinyl cutter/plotter requires Windows. All of my editing and designing will be done with my mid 2011 iMac and transferred over via USB to my software to cut. So no graphic intensive work will be done on the machine. Thanks for reading and thanks for your help!

2. coolmacoz macrumors newbie

Original MacBook - Should I buy?

I wouldn't buy it without the charger as you will need it. Otherwise you need to spend almost $100 for the power adaptor. This model had lots of problems with the hard drive and if you do happen to buy it, highly recommend to replace the HD with 120GB solid state Drive and the laptop will run very fast then.
    Hard drive replacement on this model is very easy shouldn't need more than 5 minute to finish the job. Good luck !

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why wouldn't you just install Windows on your iMac and run it via Parallels or BootCamp?

4. TreyCox thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks! I found a mag safe power adapter for 20 bucks on eBay. It's probably just a cheap Chinese off brand but I figured it would work just as well? As for the solid state drive, I will definitely look into that if I buy.

Lion won't allow me to install xp via bootcamp-only windows 7 and the software doesn't work on anything newer. (crazy, I know). Also, I need portability for the occasional times that I set up at festivals & racetracks to cut simple custom decals, etc.

5. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I think that's a pretty good price for an Intel portable. I'd say go for it.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

A computer with no charger is probably STOLEN. The low price also hints that it's stolen. Or that it's in bad shape.

I bet the seller don't have the admin password or original install disk (with bootcamp XP drivers) either.

7. TreyCox thread starter macrumors regular

That's a very good point. After all, it is a Craigslist ad. Local Craigslist, but Craigslist nonetheless.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

May 2006 MacBook cannot run Lion or later. You are stuck with Snow Leopard (10.6.8) as the Intel chip is only 32bit.

I have the white base model from this time frame (which still works and is usable) but if you're looking to run Lion or later, you'll need a newer laptop.

9. Liquinn Suspended

Why would you buy such an old machine when you could get a refurb from last or such?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Or because it's 6 years old

I dont have/know where all the power cords or discs from my old computers are

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I have a hard time believing you'd lose a charger to a laptop you were actively using. Install discs maybe, but the battery has to be recharged quite regularly.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Who says one would be actively using a 6 year old computer yhey may have lying around?

But if it were being used actively, of course I agree

13. TreyCox thread starter macrumors regular

The guy says it has been sitting for a while but it worked fine the last time he used it. He also agrees to refund the money if it doesn't work to my expectation. I guess I'll see when I check it out tomorrow, power adapter in hand. ;)

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have a 2007 BMB C2D 2.2

Added an OWC 240 3G SSD, and maxed out the RAM to 6GB.
    Gave it to my Grandaughter who used it the last 2.5 years to get her Masters.
    Her Dad just gave her a Graduation present of the new MBP when it's released, at which point she is returning my BMB, as it was my first Mac.
    We've moved on to 3 2010 11"MBA's, and the BMB ,with it's last OS upgrade to Lion awaits the next Grandaughters college journey;)

The point of all this diatribe, it was, is, and will probably remain to be a very fast
    Computer for quite a few years:apple::apple::apple: