original MBA charger vs. New MBA (13") charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by grumpy21, Aug 15, 2011.

1. grumpy21 macrumors newbie

I note that Apple does not recommend using the original MBA charger with newer computers. Does anyone have an idea why.

Naturally, I have extra original chargers at work and in a travel bag. I was looking forward to using them with a new MBA instead of buying even more.

I wonder what sort of mischief using one will cause.

Thanks for taking time to read and reply.

2. Golden Master macrumors member

I wasn't aware of this, please can you post a link?

I also have two old MBA chargers that I have been using with a 2011 MBA11.

Thanks

3. mac jones, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

Hmm, let me think about this real hard.....

So they can sell you a new one? :D

No, seriously, that makes me pause also. There might be some electronics , or something (probably not but i'm pretty paranoid )

4. grumpy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Charger identification

If you scroll down to the 45 watt chargers and read the notes on the left you can see that the old chargers are not recommended with new computers. I just hate it when they don't tell you why.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2346

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I don't know. I feel sorry for you. This is going to nag at you until you go out and buy a new adapter that deep down you know you don't need.

You can't trust tech support for something like this. They will just recommend what is recommended (if you know what i mean).

I just glad i'm not you :D

6. grumpy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

miserable

It does give me cause to think. I just may buy a MacBook Pro instead. That way I know why I'm having to buy a new adapter.

Good news here is that I can probably use the 60 Watt on both.

7. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

If you look closely at the MagSafe connectors, the old MBA style (on the right below) has a much shorter metal 'sheath' than the 2010 version (left) which extends further from the actual contacts.

Suspect there were a few problems with the earlier type plastic sheath fraying from overflexing during use and shorting/FUBAR'ing the adapter, so they recommend the newer type only.

There's no electrical/power rationale for discriminating between the two 45W chargers.

Attached Files:

8. grumpy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

A more durable attaching point would be a great reason to recommend the new one over the old and is probably why they worded it as they did.

Further poking about on the Apple site took me to the comparison between the 11 inch and 13 inch models. Near the bottom of the comparison they describe the power adapter for the 11" as a 35-watt-hour 45 watt adapter while the 13" is a 50-watt-hour 45 watt device. What's up with that?

I'm going to quit looking for more questions now.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

35 watt-hour and 50 watt-hour are capacity numbers. The 13" has the larger battery. Both are charged with a 45 watt charger (which is a power measurement).

Ex: My Prius has a 10 gal tank, and my BMW has an 18 gal tank. Both run fine with premium fuel.

/Jim

10. grumpy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I'm continually amazed at the breadth of knowledge here.