Original MBP hardrive failure - pro repair or DIY?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djchristie, Mar 31, 2008.

1. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

Hi folks,

yesterday, tragedy struck at the hardrive in my Core Duo MPB (2.16, 120GB) failed. Started up to a horrible chittery sound, then the flashing folder/question mark. Downloaded DiskWarrior on my other machine, and it crashed after counting to 50 (with the "speed reduced due to drive malfunction" message). Tried to get files off in Target Disk Mode, but OSX partition wouldn't mount. Won't start from Leopard DVD or original system disk. It is now out of warranty.

I live in the Falklands so there is no local Apple repair outfit, I'll have to send it back to the UK. The question is, do I bother? Does anyone know from experience how much Apple will charge to swap the HD? As it is out of warranty, I'm wondering if I should go to the hassle of sending it back and waiting a few months for it to be returned, or if I should order a HD and have a go at swapping it myself. If that's the better plan, any pointers on a good guide, and a good HD?

Thanks as always folks, sometimes I wonder where I'd be without these forums!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Since you don't have a warranty to worry about, I'd say just install it yourself.

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

DIY. It's not that bad.

Just follow the instructions at iFixit.com.

Quick words of advice:
    1) Be patient when removing the cover (and putting it back) - especially the front part
    2) Make note of any breathing holes your new hard drive might have (as to not cover them up)
    3) The Torx screws by the memory carrier - when you screw them back, stop after a little amount of resistance (otherwise, you can screw the head through the plate (which is plastic)).

Good luck.

4. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Do the 320GB passport swap. Then you have an enclosure just in case for something else.

5. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded my MBP's hard drive last weekend. It was the first time I have ever taken a notebook apart. Follow the tips as the above user posted and make sure you have a good set of tools that wont strip the screws. You'll need a torx t6 and a phillips #0. The hardest part was popping off the case because they were held in by clips.

6. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

Hi all,

thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'll have a go myself I reckon! I had a look at the ifixit site, and will go for the 320GB western digital drive. However, I can't order stuff from the US from the Falklands, only from the UK. I have found what I think is the same drive on a UK website - could somebody who knows these things please have a look at this link and let me know if this will work?

http://www.e-plenish.com/pgProduct....3E03B5A1DC9060E0CF658BFA3E9B8A89796D8DCE8E351

Thanks again!

7. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

8. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Yes, it appears to be the same drive. Looking at WD's site, it appears there's only one type of 320Gb 2.5" Scorpio, so I don't think you can go wrong (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, if you can find a deal on a WD 320Gb Passport (which is an external drive), you can pop open the case, and there's a Scorpio inside - that's the route I took.

9. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

Thanks again folks, I'll get on and order the drive and have a bash at fitting it. Conveniently, my wife is going to the US in 3 weeks for work, so I might get her to grab a couple of those passport drives for me as externals - they are less than half the price I can get one for in the UK!