Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have noticed on Apples website that the new space grey mini (non retina) has a 23.4Wh battery, whereas the original mini had a 16.3Wh battery. Has the new space grey version had a battery upgrade or is it a mistake on Apples website. If it is a mistake it seems a very strange mistake to make as none of the other iPads have a 23.4Wh battery, if they were going to get it wrong you would think it would be by getting mixed up with the spec of another iPad.

Last edited:

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
The new mini is thicker than the original mini. This change in thickness is to accommodate the larger battery. The larger battery is a necessity because the retina display consumes more power than the first generation mini's non retina display.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
The new mini is thicker than the original mini. This change in thickness is to accommodate the larger battery. The larger battery is a necessity because the retina display consumes more power than the first generation mini's non retina display.

You are getting mixed up, this thread is about the non retina version.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Just to be clear incase anyone else is getting confused.

New iPad mini retina 23.8Wh, but nothing to do with this thread.

Original iPad mini 16.3Wh, this was made in both black and white versions.

Recent update to original mini, but now made in both space grey and white versions (non retina), this has a 23.4Wh battery according to apples website spec.

So has the original mini had a battery upgrade.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah the OP was easily misunderstood under current fever of retina mini.

I think the specification is a typo on Apple's end. I doubt the "old-new" space grey non-retina mini will have an upgraded battery like the upcoming retina one because (1) non retina mini already has an excellent battery life, always exceed 12 hours in my case; and (2) the higher power new battery may not fit in the old mini due to space limitation.

My curiosity is around the charger though. Do you think the higher powered battery may bring a power brick to the new retina mini like the regular iPad, or still the mini plug like iPhone?

Just to be clear incase anyone else is getting confused.

New iPad mini retina 23.8Wh, but nothing to do with this thread.

Original iPad mini 16.3Wh, this was made in both black and white versions.

Recent update to original mini, but now made in both space grey and white versions (non retina), this has a 23.4Wh battery according to apples website spec.

So has the original mini had a battery upgrade.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Thanks, you would have thought if it was a mistake someone would have told therm or they would have noticed by now as it has been on there for a couple weeks now.

Sorry can't help you with the charger question, its not something i have thought about have never owned an iPad.

coco67

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
I have noticed on Apples website that the new space grey mini (non retina) has a 23.4Wh battery, whereas the original mini had a 16.3Wh battery. Has the new space grey version had a battery upgrade or is it a mistake on Apples website. If it is a mistake it seems a very strange mistake to make as none of the other iPads have a 23.4Wh battery, if they were going to get it wrong you would think it would be by getting mixed up with the spec of another iPad.

I posted the same thread, i don't know if it's a mistake, because it seems to be on the website since the beginning !! I hope it's not a mistake, so i could buy a new non retina instead of the old non retina :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1666416/

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
It actually wouldn't surprised me if those specs are true. Apple did this with the iPad 2 after the first Retina iPad came out.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
The new mini non-retina is the same weight and thickness as the previous model. How did they upgrade the battery without adding to either?

Probably a typo.

----------

Also, Apple only claims 10hrs battery life for the new non-retina. Same as previous model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.