Original MP to 2011 iMac 3.4

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seclusion, Jun 26, 2011.

  1. seclusion macrumors regular

    seclusion

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    #1
    Hey folks.

    I've considered upgrading my original MP 1.1 2.66 machine.
    But after looking at
    $300 approx for a 5770 (Can) I don't want any problems
    $320 for another 8 gig of ram (9 gigs now)
    $600-$900 for a CPU upgrade
    trade-in with 2 22" LCD's is approx $1400
    I am considering the new 27" iMac 3.4 model
    I would keep my SSD 160 drive and add 8 gigs of ram from OWC (12)
    Total out the door is under $2600 with 3 year Applecare
    I use my system for recording in Logic Pro 9.
    Top of the line video isn't necessary, but ram and CPU are.
    For my template I usually max out CPU.
    I can get Futureshop to install my SSD for nothing and move the 1 TB drive to the other internal spot. So for now using my external usb 2 drive for audio until we see more TB external drives around.

    Has anyone done this and regretted it?

    thanks
    B
     
  2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #2
    Ah, the tick-tock of the intel processor development cycle and apple marketing's evil incentives to upgrade (Wait, for only $200 more you can get...) make this a wondrous time or a perilous time buy a new system, depending on your mindset.

    It's been a while since I've looked at the latest intel roadmap. But it may be worth waiting a few more weeks to see if Apple updates the macpros, and what the improved specs will be if they do. It could be the next 'tock' may get you a bit more performance-and loads more capability-in the new base model for only a couple of hundred more dollars than your proposed maxed out 2011 27" imac.
     
  3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2010
    #3
    I also have a Mac Pro 1,1 recently acquired and have upgraded the video card to a 5770 ($300 CAN) but will likely not put anymore money into this machine. The biggest problem, or potential problem anyway, facing Mac Pro 1,1 and 1,2 users is EFi 32 and its future. It appears that EFi 32 will be supported in Lion and likely its lifetime which may mean we are ok for the next two years or so, but beyond that, its likely EFi 32 will be dropped altogether in place of EFi 64 already in use in newer Mac Pro's for the past few years now. In my case, I am ok using this machine for the next few years, its more then I need as it is. In your case I think it makes sense to move on to newer hardware, whether thats a newer used Mac Pro 3,1 or newer or an iMac, is of course, up to you. I am personally not a fan of the iMac design, I don't like the 'all in one' design, never have, in any electronic device. I know iMac's are upgradeable to a point, but they max out in terms of power, which is quite powerful with their latest line, but I prefer something I can upgraded modularly and holds more then one hard drive, no matter how large.

    AM
     
  4. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

    AlexMaximus

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Location:
    A400M Base
    #4
    300 bucks and you are good to go...

    I am not sure where are you getting your numbers, but as of right now, you can get a nice 2,33 GHZ xeon quad core cpu (E5345) for around 100 bucks off ebay. That would make yours an 8core machine for 200 bucks. I just cant imagine how you would be able ever topping that.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Xeon-E534...397?pt=CPUs&hash=item2c5d99d7ed#ht_959wt_1141

    ... and there are a whole bunch of those .. even with buy now option..

    Said that, -to install those babies just follow the easy step by step guids that are floating around like this one here:

    http://www.waitingoutside.com/2010/02/mac-pro-upgraded-with-2-intel-xeon-x5355-processors/

    Besides that I dont think more then 9 gig rams will make a lot of difference in your case since you need a numbers cruncher. Stick with the 9 gigs and you will be fine. Instead spend another 100 on a better graphic card and you will be fine for another 2 years to come. An ATI 3870 or an 4870 should be more then enough and you can get that if wait long enough on ebay for that money..

    Now with a 2,33 Ghz Octa core with a 4870 for 300 or so.. bucks, it will be very hard to justify that consumer grade iMac. But thats just my personal opinion.
     
  5. derbothaus macrumors 601

    derbothaus

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #5
    Do a processor upgrade and save your money for a new Mac Pro. Even though the iMac has a super fast processor, the upgrade path is too limited. Heat and fan noise can be an issue for certain musicians. You can't put the thing in a box if it is too noisy for instance. You could break up DSP bandwidth on the Pros some PCI and some FW. iMac FW is all you get. If you are using USB to record then maybe the iMac is for you after all;)
    You can get high track counts but you are limited to the anemic I/O. Decide if this still fits your needs. I have seen the new iMac in action and it is really, really fast. Even with the stock HDD.
     

Share This Page