Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve-Jobs-250x286.png
A new musical centering around the founding of Apple Computers by Steve Jobs is debuting this month in New York. Developed at the New York Musical Festival, the Musical Theatre Factory, and the New York Theatre Barn, "The Crazy Ones" is billed as "a thrilling new original pop-rock musical" that aims to depict Jobs' genius as well as his "very powerful demons."
In 1982, Steve Jobs was in control. His company, Apple Computer, was on top of the world: his products were changing the work and home life of hundreds of thousands of users every day, and he was exorbitantly, extravagantly rich. But something sinister was brewing underneath the surface - both at Apple, and in Steve's own mind. The Crazy Ones tells the story of the man behind the genius and how he strove to leave behind a legacy, despite some very powerful demons.
The music and lyrics were written by award-winning composer Zack Zadek with a book by Alexander Pototsky, who've been working together on the idea for The Crazy Ones for over two years. Their creation will finally see its debut on March 15 at Feinstein's/54 Below in New York City. Those interested in attending can check out ticket pricing here.

This isn't the first time Steve Jobs' life has been the subject of dramatization outside of film -- last year it was announced that an opera depicting the Apple co-founder's life will debut in 2017.

Article Link: Original Musical 'The Crazy Ones' Will Depict Steve Jobs' 'Powerful Demons'

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Why would anyone plan a musical for the portion of Steve's life before he was kicked out of Apple? It's obviously not the best one.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I am mystified why people are so incredulous that these movies, plays, etc. are happening.

The words Apple, iPhone, iPad, Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, etc. are the biggest click bait words in media. If a website or new agency wants clicks they grab anything with those words in the headlines, regardless of how dubious or inconsequential the story may be. It only stands to reason that the entertainment industry, which has had so few original ideas for the last, uh I don't know, 60 years would try to capitalize on Steve Jobs' name.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The big opening number: "Hello, I am Macintosh."

Hello, it's Steve
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
To go over beats
They say that tim's supposed to feel ya
But he's still selling 8gig phones dah

Hello, can you hear me
I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be
When we were younger and free
I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet
There's such a difference between Tim and Me
And a million miles

Hello from the other side
I must have called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call you never seem to be home

Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your Mac
But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear Jony apart

Last edited:

Phil Stanton

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2016
I live in New York and my wife and I actually saw a workshop of the show last year, it's pretty fantastic - liked it much better than the movies...I've read a bunch of the biographies (Walter Issacson etc.) and found it to be the best portrait of him - and it does deal with his firing.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I grew up with the writer Zack. Pretty brilliant kid. While I agree that enough is enough with the Steve Jobs entertainment trend, I have no reason to believe that the music will be anything other than outstanding.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
He was an impressive person no doubt, but I mean two lack luster movies, a biography that wasn't an all time best seller, and now this? No Jobs production seems to be breaking any sales/revenue records so why continue with it?

Phil Stanton

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2016
All I can say is that the show I saw was substantially different than all the others - it used the fact that it had music to give insight on Steve in a way that the others never seemed to...

He was an impressive person no doubt, but I mean two lack luster movies, a biography that wasn't an all time best seller, and now this? No Jobs production seems to be breaking any sales/revenue records so why continue with it?

Reactions: Traverse

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I live in New York and my wife and I actually saw a workshop of the show last year, it's pretty fantastic - liked it much better than the movies...I've read a bunch of the biographies (Walter Issacson etc.) and found it to be the best portrait of him - and it does deal with his firing.

The show was so unbelievable that you just had to sign up here and let everybody know. That good, eh?

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK

Steve-Jobs-250x286.png
A new musical centering around the founding of Apple Computers by Steve Jobs is debuting this month in New York. Developed at the New York Musical Festival, the Musical Theatre Factory, and the New York Theatre Barn, "The Crazy Ones" is billed as "a thrilling new original pop-rock musical" that aims to depict Jobs' genius as well as his "very powerful demons."
The music and lyrics were written by award-winning composer Zack Zadek with a book by Alexander Pototsky, who've been working together on the idea for The Crazy Ones for over two years. Their creation will finally see its debut on March 15 at Feinstein's/54 Below in New York City. Those interested in attending can check out ticket pricing here.

This isn't the first time Steve Jobs' life has been the subject of dramatization outside of film -- last year it was announced that an opera depicting the Apple co-founder's life will debut in 2017.

Article Link: Original Musical 'The Crazy Ones' Will Depict Steve Jobs' 'Powerful Demons'

This is just a way to redirect the spotlight away from the crass decisions of Cook and Ive. Maybe they see themselves as saviours, leaders or new prophets on a crusade. Either way they look too much like Apple's own Tony Blair for anyone to be comfortable. Jobs was who he was but at least he made good reliable computers that created the rosey glow of glory that Apple is still basking under. But glows fade and reality reasserts itself and that time is coming fast.
Apple must ditch these two fakers, concentrate on computers for real work, forget "thinness" and listen to their engineers rather than "head in the clouds" designers and just build the best damn devices they can. Then they and the products will be worth the money.
[doublepost=1457182033][/doublepost]
Enough of what?

Total BS of course.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005

Books and movies don't have to be all-time bestsellers to make money. (Although I'm sure the makers of the most recent Steve Jobs movie had hoped for a better ROI.)

Having said that, the idea of a Steve Jobs musical still sounds silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.