original nano vs washing machine

Discussion in 'iPod' started by askthedust, Jul 16, 2007.

1. askthedust macrumors regular

askthedust

It's a sad day. I had my original black nano and had kept it scratch free since buying it and after going to the gym it got washed with my shorts. It wasn't until I heard it clinking through the dryer that I ran down to discover that washing/drying combo was too much for the poor guy to take. He didn't turn on and hasn't since. Good Bye Nano you will be missed. I know this is along shot but, if anyone knows where I could get this fixed for under a 75 bucks, I'd appreciate the info

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I accidentally washed a very, very old usb 1.0 128 meg memory stick- twice. The thing still works like a charm! Sorry to hear your shuffle didn't survive. I guess this means shuffles can't swim.

3. gco212 macrumors 6502

Give it a day. Sometimes, it will begin to work again after you give it some time so that it's all dried out.

4. pooky macrumors 6502

Actually, give it more than a day. A couple of weeks, at least. Let me tell you a story...

I did the same thing to my original nano. Washed it, dried it, it wouldn't work. Left it to dry out for a week, still no go. Two weeks, still nothing. Threw it in my glove box, bought a new nano, forgot about the old one (still in the glove box). A month or two down the line, I see it in there, plug it into the car charger just for a lark, and it turns on! Has played flawlessly ever since. They're tougher than you think.

The really dumb thing is, six months later I washed the replacement 2G nano! Same deal, after several weeks of coma, it just started working one day.

5. Subiklim macrumors 6502

A memory stick doesn't have a battery... If the battery was removable in the nano, it would likely be saved.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Pwned :D. Sucks for your nano, buy an iPhone. Just kidding, do what they say, buy a new one, throw the old one in the glove box, and a month or two later it will work, if not, you have the new one.

7. flinch13 macrumors regular

The most likely culprit is the dryer, IMHO. Flash memory can get zapped by all of the funky electrical stuff that dryers put out. I've heard of this happening; can anyone confirm?

8. oscuh macrumors 6502

If there's moisture still in the iPod, put it in a ZippyLok bag with some white rice for a couple days. The rice will draw the moisture out ... works great for mobile phones, etc as well.

9. gco212 macrumors 6502

That's a great idea, I've never heard of it before, but it makes sense for the same reason people put rice in salt shakers.

10. sonofjabba macrumors member

Rice doesn't work.. If you try taking it apart with those plastic tools you can let it air dry. Otherwise Lay it out on a window sill in face down on a black t-shirt for a week. The black t-shirt will make it just warm enough without cooking it.

The rice in salt shakers are to help break up any salt clumps. It doesn't draw out moisture. Watch Mythbusters...

11. overcast macrumors 6502a

You can wash electronics all day, it's not going to hurt anything until you apply power to it. I've washed motherboards with soap and water in the sink before. As long as you leave ample time for everything to COMPLETELY dry then it will work just fine. You turning it on to see if it works, probably ruined it.

12. askthedust thread starter macrumors regular

askthedust

Thanks!!!!

I left it alone for a few days and then plugged it in to the wall and it's alive again!

Nano WINS!

Thanks to everyone who recommended to leave it alone and try it again.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, i bought a few Nanos off people here for lik $30 because they went in the laundry machine...by the time i got them, they were dried out, and worked like new!