Original rMB like the Chromebook Pixel 2?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gman901, May 22, 2016.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I heard that Google was allowing their Chromebook Pixel to natively run all Android Apps on their version of the laptop. I see a lot of benefits in doing this because there are a lot of apps that just run better than the the web version, as well as iOS games that work with gamepads. I'm wondering if Apple would ever allow iOS apps to run on the rMB, since I think this is a great laptop to run iOS apps natively.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

rMB is using the Intel chipset, where as iOS devices uses ARM, so right off the bat, Apple would need to create some sort of emulator.

On the other hand, if they released an ARM based MacBook, then it would be running iOS natively, but the downside is that you lose the ability to run desktop apps.

Personally I buy laptops not to run mobile operating systems, and so if that turns out to be the case, I'll not be buying an Apple laptop again. My needs extend beyond playing iOS games and a desktop OS provides more features, services and apps that fit my needs

3. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I guess it was one of those cool extra options I thought could be tacked onto the rMB but I wouldn't want a ARM version notebook either. I keep forgetting I have my iPad Air 2 to handle the iOS app side. Both devices are super light and thin so carrying them together isn't a big deal.

4. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I agree. The rMB is the power of OSX with the portability package of the iPad. It's one of the main reasons I purchased the rMB and one of its main strengths. I had an iPad Air 2 but couldn't get it to perform the work I needed it to so I sold it to buy the rMB. As much as the iPad is great for the average consumer to do their computing needs, for people who need full OS freedom, customization and a file system, a MB with OSX is the only choice. iOS just doesn't cut it.