Original software license agreement - Need help.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by yok1987, Dec 9, 2013.

1. yok1987 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]Hi..
    Folks i'm new here and need your help.. Mods, sorry for starting a new thread here..

I bought a used mac, the seller deleted his user account and his files before he gave it to me. Fair enough..

But im facing a difficulty of not being able to upgrade a few ios essential softwares as it asks for the login credentials of the initial time of purchase registration.

My friend also told me that if my mac crashes, i will have to login thro the same primary account to get the mac working again..

Please help what can i do to get around this?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Reinstall OSX from the recovery partition (Command-r), erase the OSX partition and reinstall. Create your own Apple ID.

3. yok1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi blueroom, thanks for your reply..

I have a few more querries..
    1. Reinstalling the os will cost me or is it free??

2. Can you help me with how to do this reinstallation?? May be u can share me a link to a thread which explains how to do it? Also do i have to back up my data?? Please help..

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The goal is a fresh install, so yes all previous data will be erased. You should always do a fresh OS install when you buy a used computer.

Mavericks is a free download; plus it sounds like you already have it. Backup your personal data (an external drive, DropBox, Skydrive...) you could Time Machine but you'll have the flotsam from the previous owner if you're not careful. Any App Store purchases made on your iTunes account will be available but if you were using the previous owners apps you'll need to repurchase them.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I assume here you are on Mavericks now and your data is backed up.

You need to wipe the machine and do a clean install using your AppleID. But before you do that you need to "purchase" Mavericks under your AppleID to you will not be able to install. Launch the App Store app and login using your AppleID then purchase (free) Mavericks and stop the download.

Then do a command-r boot to the recovery partition. Start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS. Now wait while the 5GB OS downloads and installs. At the end you will get a setup wizard where you can create an account for yourself. Once you do that start the App Store app and login again with your AppleID then install any OS updates.

6. yok1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhh.. Thanks a lot folks.. I'll probly do this nex week or next month..
    Cheerss..

7. yok1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys..
    I have another problem. Please help.
    I have done a fresh install of my mac with a new apple id.
    but now i'm unable to sync my iphone or ipod as it would allow me to sync with only one computer.
    How can i sync it without losing data on my phone. Mainly music

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since your music/apps are tied to another apple id, I don't believe you can.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need to login to the iTunes app with the AppleID used to purchase the apps and music on the devices, then sync.

10. yok1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

The apple id of itunes of the mac and the devices were the same before fresh install.. Im using the same id now as well on all devices

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you think you are now hitting the device limit for the account? Login to the iTunes account in the iTunes app and look at this section.

[​IMG]

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204074

12. yok1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm confused. Are you using a new Apple ID or the same one as before?

14. yok1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry let me be clear now..
    1. The mac im using was registerd on a different user (prev owner) but i was using my own apple id after i bought it.
    2. All my devices are running on the my apple id
    3. Recently i have Done a fresh install of the os on my mac to get rid of the previous owner's account.
    4. Now my devices wont sync with my mac. Specially my iphone music.
    5. Now as per ur advice, i have deauthorized all the computers to my account and reauthorized the mac alone
    6. Now tell me how to enable to sync my iphone with my mac