Original Starcraft won't work....

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by durant0s, Mar 17, 2008.

1. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

I've installed the original Starcraft and checked the install log, everything was successful. When I go to play though, the icon comes up and then just goes away again. I don't know what to do. I've used the Starcraft v1.15.2 OSX patch and followed those instructions and it still doesn't work, any help anyone?

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Same problem here. I used the OS X installer, followed the instructions for the latest patch. When I launch, it just disappears. Guess I'll just hook up my old B&W G3 to replay it before StarCraft 2 releases.

3. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

is it for the intel mac or the non intel mac?

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I used the OS X native installer and patched to 1.15.2. When I run it, the StarCraft Options window appears, I click OK, and it exits. 2.4 Penryn MBP.

5. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

try installing it on a different computer. then running the updates online. they will automatically run once you try to play an online game. then copy the whole starcraft folder over to your mac. and then try running the game again.

6. durant0s thread starter macrumors regular

durant0s

When I get home I will try this, but my friend sent me his whole starcraft folder (which works on his older MBP) and I tried it, had the same problem. Maybe the new MBP can't play starcraft? Maybe its the new processer chip...? Maybe they need to make a new patch for the new chips?

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

If you have 10.5 and turn on the firewall it corrupts starcraft the first time you run it. No foolin. You have to then reinstall the game.

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The firewall was supposedly fixed to no longer alter applications in 10.5.1. At least that made WoW work again.

9. BillG07 macrumors member

Any solutions?

I just stumbled across this same problem, can't get the game to open up. Does anyone have a solution to this? I just reinstalled the OS yesterday (new penryn mbp, 10.5.2) and havent fooled with any system settings. The firewall setting in the security panel defaults to allow all connections and I havent changed it. Anyone gotten around this yet?

Addition: it seems the three people with issues on here are all on new penryn mpbs. I would guess the problem is some change here or something to do with 10.5.2 preloaded?

10. rbarris macrumors 6502

We think the newer MBP's are not allowing the game to go into fullscreen 256-color mode to play the intro movies. You could try removing any cinematic files and see if you can get the game to run in windowed mode. We have filed a bug on this with Apple - this wasn't happening on previous MBP models using the same GPU, so our assessment is that it's a software regression.

11. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Its the GPU. Same thing with new iMacs and Diablo @. Just run on Software graphics mode. Its fast enough but the colors and graphics suck.

Sadly, Blizzard tech support said they were too old to support with patches for the newer Macs.

12. rbarris macrumors 6502

I can clarify this - we are in fact prepping a patch for Diablo II that will work in OpenGL mode on the Intel Macs. It will still be a PowerPC program running in emulation - however OpenGL mode did not work correctly on Intel Mac and we will address that in the next patch.

It's unlikely that Starcraft and Diablo II will ever go Intel native though.

13. BillG07 macrumors member

So is there any chance of getting it to work if we find and delete the intro clips, or is it a color issue with the game overall?

14. rbarris macrumors 6502

It's hard to say until someone tries it.

The game was working on every machine up til this one. So we don't believe there is a flaw in the game.

15. villager990 macrumors newbie

2.4 Ghz penryn MBP here. I too have the same problem. Install it, patch it, open it, brings up display options, click ok, bounces once or twice then closes, no error or anything. I found a blizzard ticket on this but I lost it. Anyone? Also, are there any solutions thusfar? I NEED MY SC FIX (like a druggie, not bad english)!!

16. villager990 macrumors newbie

Correction:
    Found the Blizzard ticket: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=535843

just updated, said that "We are currently in discussion with Apple about this issue and hope to have a resolution soon. Currently, the only work around is to install Windows on a separate partition and run StarCraft or Diablo 2 through Windows."

hmph.

17. BillG07 macrumors member

Good to hear, I hope that doesn't take all that long

18. weizilla macrumors regular

Try installing brood war instead. I just installed that today and it works. Although I have a macbook, not a mbp

19. durant0s thread starter macrumors regular

durant0s

is it a new macbook? with the penryn chip? because that seems to be the problem.

20. weizilla macrumors regular

Yup. New macbook with the penryn processor. It runs fine on my computer so it seems like the problem is caused by the graphics chip since that's the only difference between a MB and a MBP. Also, if you want to run Starcraft in windowed mode, just hit command + m after it starts up. However, this probably wouldn't help if it doesn't launch in the first place.

21. BillG07 macrumors member

Yup as villager said, blizzard is aware of and is working on the problem, and it is only MBPs

22. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

This doesn't affect me, but I'd like once again to thank Blizzard for their dedicated support of very old (10+ years) games on the Mac. With some so-called Mac publishers, it's enough trouble to get patches for just-released games. But Blizzard really steps up above & beyond, and I think they deserve a hand for that!

23. saule cogneur macrumors newbie

I talked to Blizzard tech support today. The guy confirmed what has already been said.

"Keep checking the Battlenet forum. Apple broke something, but hopefully someone will figure something out."

24. Haislund macrumors newbie