Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsdonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Appreciate help...someone gave me an original iphone (16GB) that they had purchased unlocked for Tmobile. It has been working great for me. But now I'm interested in adding some of the cool apps and can't figure out what I need to do. I upgraded iTunes to 8.0.2.20 but was told that if I updated the firmware (which itunes was prompting me to do) my unlocked will be undone. I was able to download apps to itunes now but it isn't allowing me to add them to my phone. Looks like my firmware is 1.1.4. Appreciate any help. I'm not techy but I follow directions well :)

gsdonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
thanks and clarification

thanks for the fast response. Just to make sure I know what I'm doing. I need to go ahead and upate my firmware when I synch my iphone to 2.2. Then, I need to employ a jailbreak and unlock again. Do you recommend just following the iClarified methods for this? Thanks again.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
thanks for the fast response. Just to make sure I know what I'm doing. I need to go ahead and upate my firmware when I synch my iphone to 2.2. Then, I need to employ a jailbreak and unlock again. Do you recommend just following the iClarified methods for this? Thanks again.

That's correct. Don't use anything but PwnageTool or QuickPwn anymore. Everything else has been broken.

Don't use Installer anymore. It's worthless. Everyone who is anyone uses Cydia.

You can even choose not to install Installer with an Expert Mode firmware creation in PwnageTool.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
But that would require a restore, and you would have to re-sync all the content, it would take more time (depending if he has much stuff installed).

That's what it always requires tho, unless you are familiar with Xpwn to sort of do a "slipstream" update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.