Original Watch dying... What to do?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bhenny1, Mar 18, 2018.

1. bhenny1 macrumors regular

bhenny1

Hey Guys,

I have an original Apple Watch that recently got hit with steam from some boiling water. A small circle of dead pixels appeared and every day it’s getting larger and larger. It still works fine as all I really use it for is working out, but I’m afraid it’ll be useless soon. I’m hoping for a redesign in the fall but I’m not sure what to do. What do you think?

1. Buy a new, cheap original watch
    2. Buy a Series 3
    3. Hold out until the fall

I’m thinking I’ll upgrade in the fall if they redesign the watch, so keep that in mind as far as costs go. What would you do?

Ps. Image attached of the bleeding pixels.

Attached Files:

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I wouldn't plan on a redesign watch. If you work out all the time and need the stats, get a new watch. That is what I would do if I were in your tech shoes.

3. bhenny1 thread starter macrumors regular

bhenny1

You don’t think this is the year for a redesign?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No. I am just giving as good a guess as I can.

If having the watch isn't essential for you, then wait it out and see what happens. I may be wrong. It all comes down to need and financial ability.

5. bhenny1 thread starter macrumors regular

bhenny1

You’re right. I do use the watch everyday and keep track of my exercise. It’s worth upgrading now.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You will be amazed with the series 3. If something changes, you can return as you said.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If there is a redesign, Apple likely won’t Compeletly overhaul the hardware, as the current form factor will remain similar. It’s likely going to be tweaked with the display, or the casing might have some alterations for the new Series 4. But at this junction, I would not invest in a first generation Apple Watch anymore and take advantage of a Series 3 GPS sports model.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

If I were you, I would not risk losing functionality of the watch and go to buy whatever Apple is offering right now.

Even though I did not use previous generations of the watch, series 3 is still pretty good. LTE, faster, and better overall.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I’d take it into Apple for repair. There swapping out series 0/1 for 2’s at the moment

10. bhenny1 thread starter macrumors regular

bhenny1

Thanks for all your advice guys. I definitely think I’m going to upgrade to the S3.

I thought I saw the out-of-warranty price of $199? If true, at that point, I’d rather just get a new one

11. CNebs macrumors member

The out of warranty Watch is $199, and it’ll be a Series 1 (potentially a refurbished model). I know since I had that service performed for my wife’s Series 0. You have the option to take the model they provide as a replacement, or you can deny the replacement. I denied the replacement model, since to me it didn’t seem worth it to me. Especially since the original watch was an anniversary gift. So I upgraded my wife’s Series 0 to a Series 3 (GPS model), and she’s loving it. She’s not a power user, but due to the speed improvements she actually wears it everyday now.

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I wish my original Apple watch was in the same condition as yours. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade to the series 3.

13. CNebs macrumors member

Sounds like you just need to boil some water and hit it with steam :)

14. bhenny1 thread starter macrumors regular

bhenny1

I ordered a Space Gray Aluminium Watch with the Gray Sport Band. I went back and forth between that and Stainless Steel, but just didn’t want to spend that much money. It’ll be here Thursday, I’m excited!

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Coming from a stainless steel Apple Watch owner, the Sport model is still an excellent choice. It’s 40% lighter under the stainless steel and it’s still very durable with the Ion-X Glass. In Terms of resale, the aluminum model actually holds value stronger than the stainless model.

16. bhenny1 thread starter macrumors regular

bhenny1

Thanks for the input! I use the watch mainly for working out so I figured the cheaper one would be a better fit.