Orlando (specifically Disney World)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aethelbert, Sep 2, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I was invited to speak at a conference in November being held at the Swan and Dolphin resort in the Disney complex. I found an airfare for $150 round trip from Indianapolis, so I'm planning on going as everything else is paid for. The conference runs for five days but I only have to attend something each morning until about 10:30; the rest of my time is free. I've never been down in that area so I'm wondering what I should see. I'd prefer not to rent a car or use an excessive amount of taxis, so using the provided transportation within Disney would be nice. However, I might also be up for a day in some other part of Orlando.

So, people of macrumors, what do you recommend I see/do while there? It runs from a Saturday morning to Wednesday afternoon, if anything varies by day of the week.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Other than the Disney and related-type activities, Orlando doesn't have a ton of entertainments. Not a huge variety of cultural or recreational (other than fishing) activities. There are a couple of Apple Stores in the region, so there's always that. Best piece of advice is get an early flight back. Like 6am departure or earlier. The airport crowds are enough to make you go postal (unless you have a Clear membership or are airport/airline employee).

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

If you're into amusement park type things, make sure you go to Blizzard Beach. It's an amazing water park with a ton of fun things to do.

4. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Wow. I didn't think that I'd ever find another city to use my clear membership in. I've only ever been able to use it in Indianapolis as no other places seem to use it. Unfortunately, I have to stay through Wednesday morning at 10, making my earliest departure at two. I'm opting to stay a bit later, though, to get a nonstop flight because as bad as MCO may be, ATL (FL connections) will be 3x worse.

5. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

Orlando is fun especially if you have never been. It isn't cheap though. I have been there at least 10 times and always come home broke. When you fly in pick up a couple of guides they are littered throughout the city in hotels, truck stops, airports, etc. personally i'd checkout City Walk it has all kinds of fun stuff to do, there is good clubs, good eats (jimmy buffets restraunt). Disney World is kinda for the younger crowd as Universal Studios is more geared towards the grown ups.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you want to go to the parks, I'd recommend getting a Park Hopper ticket. It allows you to go to several different parks in one day. Also, be on look out for extended park hours for hotel guests. Cirque de Solie(?) is in Downtown Disney. Great show that I highly recommend.

7. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

There is as much at disney for adults as there is for children. I was just there in June, and only got to spend 2 days there. We did one day in Magic Kingdom, and one day in Animal Kingdom. I enjoyed Animal Kingdom more, as it had some really cool things. There is also Epcot, and a Boardwalk type place for shopping on the disney campus somewhere. You should be able to find plenty of things to do without leaving. Not saying it's cheap but plenty to do.

Eat at O'hanas if you can. I wanted too bt couldnt get in.

If you leave disney its all chain food places.. not really missing much there.. believe me.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Luckily I got comp'ed a year's membership, and going forward my company will reimburse the fees. I've used it in IND, LIT, and SFO since then. Worth every dime. I only jumped on it specifically because of MCO. Truly horrible security lines.

9. Queso macrumors G4

There's a rather amusing gay bar where everyone dresses as cowboys. Like a Brokeback Mountain theme park :)