OS 10.1.5 to leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AutomaticHaze, Nov 23, 2008.

1. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

Hey guys and guys, i need some help..and here's why -

I got a used mac G4 for free from a friend. She had tons and tons of her old files on it, so i tryed to just go though and delete it all. After about 2 hours i got tired of doing that so, i took the installation CD and told it to wipe it clean and re-install the OS. I did that without thinking, it took me all the way from 10.3.11 TO 10.1.5
    So now, the G4 is basicly stuck.. i tried to do the update online but Apple is missing an update that that does'nt allow me to go higher than 10. something ( i forgot )
    So i went out today and bought Leopard. The box says the system reuirements are - PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
    512MB of physical RAM
    DVD drive for installation.

Im pretty sure i have that, anyway when i try to install Leopard it wont show up, even when i start stright from the disk. I dont know much about this computer, im not sure it has a DVD drive so i'm puting one in later and trying to install on that.

Anyway im a complete noob when it comes to this so is there anything i can do to get my computer back?

Thank you.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. belvdr macrumors 603

And reinstalled the OS while typing. :)

4. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, sorry about that i hit enter before i was done typeing it all up.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

So what happens if you boot into the current OS and throw the disc in the drive. Is it readable? If not, I'd say you don't have a DVD drive.

6. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it wont show up anywhere. So im going to throw a DVD drive in later on tonight and try that. Like i said i hardly know anything about these updates. So if i put the drive in then try to install it, will it let me jump from 10.1.5 all the way to Leopord?
    And if that fails is there anyway around this or am i just SOL and stuck?

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Well, it doesn't matter really, since you formatted it with 10.1 and installed it. Your 10.5 copy is a full installation, so you could install from scratch if needed.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

the hardware specs should be listed on the case.

9. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

Yep i dont have one in there.. puting a DVD drive in now.

10. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

I got the DVD drive in last night, then looked for the Leopard disk only to realize i left in it Dallas at my friends house ( Where i got the computer and stayed )
    So i called her up, and she said she's going to mail it to me, but she's useing it too on her G5 since we split the price. She dosent want to mail the actual disk for fear that it will get lost and she still needs to use it.
    So if she burns a copy of the Leopard disk to a DVD and mails it to me, would this work?

Thanks for walking me though this guys haha.

11. belvdr macrumors 603

I think you can just use Disk Utility to create an image of it and either burn a copy or electronically send it to you and you can burn it.

12. .adam macrumors regular

The Leopard disc is DualLayer though so it won't fit on a standard DVD.

13. belvdr macrumors 603

Oh that stinks. I didn't know that.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It would work, but it's breaking the license agreement to install on more than one Mac even if you did split the cost.

15. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

Ok..well it will fit on a DVD and we could install it though?

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It'd have to be a dual-layer DVD

17. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

So i just went online again and checked the requriemnts again and it says (867MHz or faster) processor. I checked the G4 and it only has a 800MHz im still going to try it, i doubt it will work. I hope they just rounded it off..
    If it does'nt work what are my other options? Get a copy of a OS lower than Leopard or what?

Again, thanks for all the help.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you have a 800MHz G4, I'd recommend running Tiger (10.4) or Panther (10.3) - you will have a much better user experience.

19. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I concur with this.

But you can use LeopardAssist, it worked on my 450MHz G4. It was unbearably slow though. I can use it now that I upgraded to dual 500MHz processors. I imagine it will run okay on your 800MHz.

20. AutomaticHaze thread starter macrumors regular

I know it would be better to run tiger but i just shelled out $130 for leopard and kinda feel like that would be easer to run leopard with leopard assist, think im going to try it.