Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Tried Catalina (10.15.6 -> 10.15.7 update) last night on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. Photos analysis took all night just to get to halfway point and computer was running much hotter in the high 50's C with fan at 3000 RPM. Sometimes it would spike into the 70's and 80's C. i want my computer to last as long as possible.

Nothing went wrong that I could see, but I downgraded to Mojave this morning from a SuperDuper bootable backup and all is well now.

Would recommend for a 2017 or higher Mac, but not for my laptop.

honestone33

Suspended
Original poster
Tried Catalina (10.15.6 -> 10.15.7 update) last night on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. Photos analysis took all night just to get to halfway point and computer was running much hotter in the high 50's C with fan at 3000 RPM. Sometimes it would spike into the 70's and 80's C. i want my computer to last as long as possible.

Nothing went wrong that I could see, but I downgraded to Mojave this morning from a SuperDuper bootable backup and all is well now.

Would recommend for a 2017 or higher Mac, but not for my laptop.
Does not sound promising. But if you had a workable OS 10.15.6 system already, why downgrade to Mojave? I am currently running the latest version of Catalina on both of my Macs, and like you, been using SuperDuper! for my backups. All has worked flawlessly.

I actually just completed all my Saturday "chores", including 2 backups each of my OS 10.15.6 systems on both of my Macs to two separate external SSDs, and I am about ready to 1) restart each of my Macs from their respective (and just completed) SuperDuper! backups, 2) launch Disk Utility form there to erase and format (as APFS) each internal SSD, 3) navigate to the OS 10.15.7 full installation files and do a clean, fresh installation of OS 10.15.7 on each machine, 4) migrate/copy all needed files, folders, settings, applications, etc. from those backups, 5) restart each Mac "into" OS 10.15.7, and 6) remake the Tech Tool Pro eDrive. I am anticipating no issues.

Of course I am assuming all my apps will work fine with OS 10.15.7, as they work fine with OS 10.15.6.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Does not sound promising. But if you had a workable OS 10.15.6 system already, why downgrade to Mojave? I am currently running the latest version of Catalina on both of my Macs, and like you, been using SuperDuper! for my backups. All has worked flawlessly.

I actually just completed all my Saturday "chores", including 2 backups each of my OS 10.15.6 systems on both of my Macs to two separate external SSDs, and I am about ready to 1) restart each of my Macs from their respective (and just completed) SuperDuper! backups, 2) launch Disk Utility form there to erase and format (as APFS) each internal SSD, 3) navigate to the OS 10.15.7 full installation files and do a clean, fresh installation of OS 10.15.7 on each machine, 4) migrate/copy all needed files, folders, settings, applications, etc. from those backups, 5) restart each Mac "into" OS 10.15.7, and 6) remake the Tech Tool Pro eDrive. I am anticipating no issues.

Of course I am assuming all my apps will work fine with OS 10.15.7, as they work fine with OS 10.15.6.

I downgraded simply because my system wasn't cooling down fast enough after doing work. I'm not denigrating Catalina nor am I downplaying the success others have had with Catalina. I simply made my choice with the data I have, that is all. If I had a newer system, I'd stay with Catalina, because that newer system would have more thermal headroom for the additional tasks Catalina has to do.

honestone33

Suspended
Original poster
Well, I just finished with the two clean installations of OS 10.15.7 on my Macs. For my Mac Mini, things went smoothly. But for my MacBook Air, did run into a "glitch" after installing OS 10.15.7. I assume most folks know that at the end of the installation, after a few "basic" questions, one is given the option of "migrating/copying" information from another Mac, a Time Machine backup, or a start up disk. I chose that option, with my external SSD containing the just completed SuperDuper! backup of my OS 10.15.6 system (and from where I was doing the installation) still plugged in. Well, for some reason, and no matter how many times I tried, that SSD could not be found (worked flawlessly for my Mac Mini, ie, it found the external SSD). What I eventually did was disconnected the SSD, then re-connected it. It was then that the external SSD was found, and I could proceed with the migration/copying of needed files, folders, settings, applications, etc.

This has happened a couple of times in the past, although not recently with OS 10.15.3, and OS 10.15.6. I did clean installations of them. But not sure why it happened with OS 10.15.7.

In any event, so far I have run Thunderbird and Brave on the Mini, and they are working fine. Also just ran LibreOffice without a hitch. I suspect things will continue to work fine, and I'll provide as much useful information as I can going forward.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't know if its an issue but usually when I use MBP 13 2015 Safari with fet tabs and apps for work (not heavy) I don't hear any fan noise, maybe a little tiny bit. But after yesterday update to 10.15.7 fan is spinning like crazy, CPU load to 90-95% abd temperature going up almost a 100°C.
Somebody facing issue like this?

Yes...I had to wipe out my system and do an internet install, lost a lot of files.

But...I was not installing the update. It happened when I turned on my computer at 3am when I received important info from work on a project at the exact time the update was released.

Looks like their was some background things going on just prior to the update.

I Always know when an update occurs. My system acts fun just prior to the release. macbook pro 2018 with a T2 chip..

AppleLover87

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2020
I don't know if its an issue but usually when I use MBP 13 2015 Safari with fet tabs and apps for work (not heavy) I don't hear any fan noise, maybe a little tiny bit. But after yesterday update to 10.15.7 fan is spinning like crazy, CPU load to 90-95% abd temperature going up almost a 100°C.
Somebody facing issue like this?

Hi,

I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro 2020 4ports, randomly spinning fans and beach balling with Safari.
I even did a clean install with 15.7 but the same issue, I rolled back to 15.6 and the issue is gone.

Notice : On my Imac 2020 i7 no issue.

Greetz,

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Why was it having to re-analyze anything?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Why run Catalina unless you have to? Apple has not demonstrated an ability to produce a workable 10.15.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Nothing wrong with Catalina for me. Read my successful post above about my clean installation of OS 10.15.7 (still going strong, by the way). Also want to keep up with all the security measures Apple puts into its OS.
Please detail the security issues Mojave is vulnerable to that Apple has not patched. That would seem to be useful information.

honestone33

Suspended
Original poster
Please detail the security issues Mojave is vulnerable to that Apple has not patched. That would seem to be useful information.
I don't have those details, and in fact (knock on wood!), I have yet to have any security issues. But I just think it's prudent to stay as current as possible with the Mac OS and all the applications one uses. Note that I said "as current as possible". Staying current could be an issue for some folks, and I understand that. Of course, I am a "stickler" when it comes to keeping both of my Macs "lean, mean, and clean", so I suspect that goes a long way towards not having security issues. And I insist on not moving to a newer version of the Mac OS until all the third party applications I use are compatible with the new OS.

To turn this around, please detail the issues you are having with Catalina. Again, ever since I moved from Mojave to Catalina, except for V10.15.5 (which created issues for both SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner), I have had no issues with Catalina. Of course I did not start until V10.15.3 had been released, as that is when a compatible version of Tech Tool Pro was released (that was the last of my third party applications that needed to be compatible with Catalina). Also, of course, by the time V10.15.3 had been released, Apple had resolved most of the bugs present in 10.15, 10.15.1, and 10.15.2. I suspect I will not move to Big Sur until at least V11.3 arrives, as again that is most likely when a compatible version of Tech Tool Pro will be available. Meanwhile, I'll just continue to use Catalina, with no issues.

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And now you've learned to make backups, right?

I made backups...but my backup disk JUST broke a few days ago and I re-backed up my other Macs and was JUST about to backup the Mac that had the spinning fan issue...

Talk about bad timing... :). Got hit in-between covering myself. :)

I was not updating the mac with the update at the time, I turned on the mac probably with the hour that the update became live. Did not have a chance to backup before upgrading. I do not think when turning off macs now with a T2 chip that the mac completely shuts down (Windows does not shut completely down, but puts it in a very low state).

I know mac users will disagree with me, but Apple does background updates or gathers info on their products that are on-line on if needed (rarely) without the user knowing . Microsoft does it.

I read an article (should have kept it) where apple did say that very rarely (but will do) push an update or make a change in the background with an OS file if needed without users being aware.

I can almost (clock work) know the day before an OS update occurs on my Mac because it starts to act funny (meaning some weird issues etc.). I suspect that the OS is sending info about the system back to apple right before an update is pushed out. I don't think to gather personal data (like Microsoft does), but system info. etc.

Apple does give the option when installing that says, "Give permission to send periodically system and app information to apple and developers etc..". This does not mean that we always know (meaning give a notice) or just when a system crashes. It gives permission to send system info. when Apple wants it too.

honestone33

Suspended
Original poster
For some of the issues you are having, that 's exactly why I do not allow updates to happen automatically. I always apply them myself. And in some instances (like OS 10.15.6 and 10.15.7), I do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation.

I also vote not to send anything to Apple. Never have seen the need to.

Finally, I make a concerted effort to keep my Macs "lean, mean, and clean". This involves both manual efforts on my part, and using excellent software like Onyx and Tech Tool pro to help with disk cleanup, maintenance, and repairs. In fact, prior to doing my SuperDuper! backups, I run Onyx and Tech Tool pro, to insure that all is well.

I will, though, start checking my 3 external SSDs with Tech Tool Pro to insure all is well.

Stephenjb

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
UK
Hello all,

Has anybody run into any problems with their system, after installing this most recent
update to MacOS Catalina?

richmlow
Yes, Since the update my 2020 iMac crashes occasionally usually overnight - it did not do so before the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.