OS 10.4.10 Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoooooooooom, Jun 26, 2007.

1. zoooooooooom macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having issues with the newest os update.

My Macbook pro was super stable until I upgraded.

It has crashed 4 times in the last 2 days and my Airport connection keeps dying every few minutes.

I don't know what to do...

C

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Open Disk Utility->Select your Hard drive->Repair Disk Permissions

And cross your fingers :)

3. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Time to break out disk warrior
    I had no problems witih my MB until I tried to upgrade. It died big time...Fine folks at the genius bar tell me that it was bad ram that went over the edge? (Actually they said it was mixed ram...but it was bad ram)

4. zoooooooooom thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that many times.(repair permissions)

i hope things get sorted out cause I use this comp for work...

5. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

Bad ram may be the case, but I am having problems with mine too as are several of my friends. Seems to me like 10.4.10 is a bit fishy. I just wished I'd got off my arse and used Superduper......*sigh*

6. skirmish macrumors newbie

I've been getting a lot of kernal panics since installing the 10.4.10 upgrade on my G5 20" isight. It's a CTO with 1.5gb of RAM installed before delivery so it should be matched. I get crashes several times a day and at first i submitted reports, later clicking the report button just exited to finder and now when i reboot after a panic finder continually loads and exits so my mac is next to unuseable. Anyone having this problem or know a workaround?

7. Popobawa macrumors newbie

OS 10.4.10 Problems--Yep, I've got them, but no answers!

Yes, Zooooooom, I'm having problems on my MacBook with the latest OS10.4.10. All was fine until I installed it, now ical crashes every time, and more recently Mail won't even open. Have tried Disc Utility>Verify Permissions: Latest security update (Security Update 2007-006 (Universal) Version 1.0), etc., but nothing works. Ical still crashes, Mail won't open.
    I'm not much of a Mac buff, so any suggestions in dumb person English, please!
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Popobawa

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Yeah, it's a pretty widespread problem. Google it. After 10.4.10, a lot of MacBooks tend to have spotty wireless as well as kernal panics when on battery power. If you want to surf the web, plug it in. If you're going on battery power, turn off AirPort. Otherwise you'll eventually crash.

Only way is to wait for Apple to fix it. Or downgrade to 10.4.9.

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I still haven't installed it, and it keeps reminding me.

Maybe I'll do it tonight...

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Don't.

I remember reading about this silly issue where it's the first version of OS X which 5 digits ever, and something happens where some apps believe that it's actually 10.4.1 because it misses the zero. For example, when I try to run the unified window modifier app, UNO, it tells me it requires 10.4.4.

Plus a whole host of other problems that you can google. Audio interfaces no longer working, kernal panics due to spotty AirPort, no sound, etc.

11. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

This is bad information. I don't know what you people do to your computers to make them not run with a software upgrade, but I've never had a problem with anything before, and I don't have any problem with 10.4.10.

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

What do I do to my computer? I bought it. It's a brand new MacBook. It came with 10.4.9 and was working just fine until I updated. The only thing going wrong is my wireless dropping and kernal panics when I try to use it while on battery power.

Google "10.4.10 MacBook wireless dropout" or something along the lines of that. There are widespread problems.

13. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I didn't say I knew what you did to it. I just said you did something. Especially because a Macbook is a Macbook is a Macbook, which means there's something you did that's messing up the upgrade - because it works fine on a majority of people's computers out there.

Maybe some kind of 3rd party program you installed, or something along those lines.

14. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I highly doubt that. I really haven't installed anything, nothing that I don't have running on my iMac.

I've installed these apps:

Adium
    CandyBar
    Shapeshifter
    Growl
    Application Enhancer (by Unsanity)
    Various Unsanity Haxies

Nothing major. Nothing that hasn't worked before. And the problems arose as soon as I had restarted after updating to 10.4.10.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Application enhancers are not small. These can cause problems if they encounter something that was changed by Apple and they're not ready for it. If I were you, I'd uninstall ShapeShifter and all 3rd party add-ons that are always running.

16. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Actually, it appears that after downgrading to 10.4.9 my Wireless is fine. Hasn't dropped for a long time now. Before it would drop within a few minutes. Looks like everything's solved...

17. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I don't know what your routine is for updating. What I always do if I have custom icons applied or Shapeshifter themes is, save your iContainer, then restore all icons, unload Shapeshifter back to Aqua, and disable it (make sure its unchecked at the main dialog) and unload any other Unsanity apps. Then log out. I always make sure no other app has been running, hence the logging out part of any shapeshifter cache managers. The only thing that should be running of Unsanity apps is APE.

Once all 3rd party stuff is shutdown (growl, quicksilver etc). I pull out the OS package (which is normally combo) from the disk image to the desktop then unmount it and run the package. I don't touch a thing until it asks to be restarted. My procedure is more of a peace of mind thing.

Once thats all done, everything is all rosy peach after several restarts to build up the cache (not the after 2 days part) if you can get in and everything is functioning, load your stuff back up.
    Which I let it build up the cache over a period of days. Can't be arsed with constant reboots. :)
    Then put everything back to the way you like it once you know everything is A OK! Which it should be, as the above has always worked for me.

The only reason I have not updated to 10.4.10 is all the complaints about sound popping and the worrying part that people have spoke of, kernel panics since this update. I couldn't be annoyed with the sound popping since I listen to Internet radio everyday.

Tell me something genius... you don't even need to be installing Unsanity stuff to get APE. What makes it worse is, why the hell is Logitech bundling APE with their drivers... I've heard complaints about this too.

To be honest I've never had problems with APE and its been installed for 2 years now. You can still have Shapeshifter installing but not in use, so theres no need to uninstall it.

People that are also getting these problems don't have any haxies. I have also noticed this trend of the first thing theres a problem, the first thing that gets blamed is Unsanity haxies. :)

So I can clarify, a friend has a Intel iMac and is running 10.4.10 with Unsanity apps which is all working perfectly fine.

I guess it really depends on how or what the user was doing or what they were running during the update process.
    Everybody that I've read seems to get some sort of different symptom or another. The two main ones that seems to be hit by the majority is WIFI problems and sound crackling since this update. The WIFI one I've read came into play for a lot was since 10.4.9. Yet it did not affect me. Seems to be lots of gremlins going about.

18. HawaiiHereICome macrumors newbie

zooooom i feel you

yo zooooom, i have a macbook pro (2.33 Ghz, 3 MHz ram) and at first my airport was going on and off while my computer crashed at least twice a day, wireless seems stable now, but i still get random crashes when using safari, quicktime, etc. hope they settle the problems cuz apple support said to reinstall mac os and i dont want to go through that hassle

19. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Wow, after reading all these problems I breathed a big sigh of relief (knock on wood) since I haven't had any problems so far. One thing I did notice is that my itunes pauses for a half a second when playing songs every now and then, but running fewer applications seemed to stop it - I wonder if that's related, and think it's slightly uncool since it's a brand new macbook pro and it's supposed to be so super fast, I woudln't expect itunes to hang for a sec due to other programs running, but I can live with it if that's all that I'm getting in terms of problems versus all the other possibilities! I'm still a noob, so I don't know about this stuff, does Apple respond pretty quick to stuff like this and release fixes or are you stuck for a while with the glitches?