OS 10.4.6 Installation Advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johntommybob, Apr 16, 2008.

1. johntommybob macrumors member

I have a G4 cube with 384MB of Ram. I just ordered Tiger from Apple, but I don't have it yet (they said two weeks). My Cube has OS 9.2.2 which I use all the time. I also have OS 10.1x (with classic) which I bought and installed years ago, but I never have really used it.

All of the files I want to keep are in OS 9.2.2, and I want to be able to still use OS 9.2.2 after I install Tiger. I want to be able to reboot to that system when I need to, or reboot to Tiger if I want to use that to search the internet (I don't have a DSL connection by the way and I can't get one where I live).

The Cube does have a DVD drive but you can not use it to back up anything as it does not have that capability. I back up files on a flash drive.

What's the best way to Install Tiger to get what I want?

Thanks,

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Although you made no mention of it, your free hard drive capacity is critical. A 10 GB hard drive is an irreducible minimum to install MacOS X 10.4 while maintaining Classic. I recommend at least 40 GB. If you have to buy a new drive, then buy one >100 GB. They're cheap. MacOS X 10.4 will love it.

If you have sufficient hard drive space, then just install MacOS X 10.4 over your current installation as an upgrade. You will maintain your Classic environment. You will be able to dual-boot MacOS X 10.4 and MacOS 9.2.2. After your install the OS, run Software Update to bring your system up to MacOS X 10.4.11.

3. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

Mister me,

Thanks for the info. The drive that came in my cube failed about a year or so ago and I replaced it with a 40GB drive thinking I would never need anywhere near that much. Just looked, and with mozilla, outlook express, and OS 9.2.2
    running it appears that I still have over 33GB free.