Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I dont know alot about the Mac side yet... But I know with windows (sorry i have to comare the 2) But with windows, the latest version usually needs some of the best hardware around to run great.

I know 10.5 is far off yet... but will the current intellimacs run it well? I know people use Tiger on old 800MHz G4's with 256MB of Ram.... I just dont want to be obsolete and run slow when 10.5 comes out, you know.

Thanks alot

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I very much doubt you have anything to worry about :)

I have an 800Mhz iMac with 512Mb ram, it came with 10.1 and OS9 installed, and now runs 10.4, and funnily enough it's alot faster than it was! Yes, thats right, apple makes their OS better, slicker and faster with each major update, not slower like some other developers :)

Talking about running modern OS's on old Macs,my dad used to run 10.3.9 on his old G3 powermac, 350Mhz and 640Mb. The UI was a little slow but it ran all the apps just fine, even photoshop was pretty much just as useable as it was under OS9, Just took it a little longer to apply filters etc. :D

I can't see it being any differant going from 10.4 to 10.5 on intel or PPC :cool:

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Actually, 10.5 should run even better/faster on intelmacs than 10.4 does now, since it will be even more optimized for the new cpu's & gpu's, and by the time it comes out, even more apps will be universal.... so less need for Rosetta = more native speeeeedddddd............ :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
iBunny said:
I know 10.5 is far off yet... but will the current intellimacs run it well?

While I agree that there shouldn't be a problem, anything anyone says is PURE SPECULATION. Leopard hasn't been seeded to anyone who hasn't signed a non-disclosure agreement with legal-happy-Apple Computer Inc.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
10.5 will run flawlessly on your Intel Mac, provided there aren't any serious bugs. Unlike Microsoft, Apple actually takes the time to optimize their future OS's to run well on current hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.