OS 10.5 won't install on my imac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boynigel, Aug 31, 2011.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

i have a silver intel imac that i've been running tiger on for the past 4 years. i also have an intel mini. the mini came with 10.5, so i figured i'd finally semi-update the imac so that it'd be the same OS (10.5) as the mini. so...i went to install and it tells me that it "cannot be installed on this computer". what i don't get is the fact that the imac meets every single system requirement that is specified in the instructions on the 10.5 install disk, line for line. i double checked, and then checked yet again. made another attempt and got the same message. it will boot from the disk, but as soon as i select my language, i get the dreaded "can't install" message. ideas?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can't use the Apple-provided restore disks on a different model computer, even if the system is capable of running that version. What you can do is clone the functional system up-to-date Mini to the iMac.

Edit: You can buy Snow Leopard for $30. I'd highly suggest doing that. The enhancements will breathe new life into your systems.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....this has got to be one of the most frequently posted questions. The install/restore disks that ship with a Mac are specific to that model, they're not the same as the retail disk package. Also, having that disk does *not* give you license to install it anywhere and everywhere you like, the agreement is different than that which is now in place with 10.7....oh yeah!

4. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

i see. i also have a ppc G4 desktop that (obviously) i just ran in to the same thing on. i've heard that the ppc's have an OS "cap". i know they can run leopard, what about snow leopard?

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Snow Leopard is Intel-only. Leopard is the highest supported OSX version for PPC.

6. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

why is it that the older, regular (10.5), leopard is fetching $120 on ebay? all the power pc users desperately trying to snatch them up?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That's how much Leopard cost originally. They reduced the price to $30 for Snow Leopard

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Basically; yes.