OS 10.7.2 - Correlation between heavy network activity and poor mouse performance?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mmachine, Nov 11, 2011.

1. mmachine, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

mmachine macrumors newbie

Skeptically, I upgraded to Lion yesterday morning and frustrated to say, like many others, I'm at a loss for how awful it is. I've already spent an hour diagnosing a broken wireless config (losing internet connection every 20 mins -- fun!), but now...

Here's the next issue: I'm running an iMac (purchased Dec. 2011) with a Magic Mouse, and I've already disabled the gesture options, but I'm having the weirdest issue with mouse behavior. It seems that whenever an application is tasked with needing a lot of internet bandwidth -- for example, uploading a large file in Transmit -- the mouse becomes INCREDIBLY sluggish and choppy. Precision of any kind becomes completely impossible, and as far as I'm concerned my machine is rendered basically unusable.

I could keep complaining, but I'm hoping instead someone else has experienced the same issue and can relate. Even better, there's a solution to be found.

Any help?

UPDATE: Turns out this looks like an issue I hadn't even considered -- wireless interference. For whatever reason, Lion must have switched channels on the pairing of the Magic Mouse. Unpairing it was a good start, then restarting and resetting the PRM. Afterwards, if more issues persist (I'm still having some mild sluggishness), might have to go so far as changing the wireless channel designated on your router.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You purchased your iMac a month in the future? :p

Anyway, have you tried a wired mouse to see if it exhibits the same effect? Was this a clean install or a direct upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.7.x?

Running Lion on my machine I haven't experienced any mouse lag when using the network heavily, but I have a wired mouse.

3. mmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha! Maybe I did...

Yeah, looks like I might have to settle for a wired mouse sooner than later. Messing with the channels on the router looks like it might have helped, I'm just hoping that stays intact.

Lots of stupid, seriously unnecessary issues this upgrade, and I'm tempted to hop into the Time Machine but I know that's only delaying the inevitable.

4. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Since bluetooth and wifi exist in the same spectrum, I think we are stuck.

I usually turn off my wifi when using my magic trackpad (got a wire at my desk). I have noticed the trackpad is more responsive when wifi is off.

I also have noticed an improvement of the responsiveness of the trackpad by turning bluetooth on and back off. This is not very convenient though.

5. mmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

It's incredibly inconvenient, and needless. A few days now since upgrading, I'm noticing a general malaise with all my other wireless devices -- been in a constant state of the wifi channel shuffle, trying to find the sweet spot between my Lion machine and all the other wirelessly connected computers and devices in my apartment. The only reliable channel being, of course, the one that presents me with the greatest amount of mouse problems.

I'll continue to blame Lion for this, solely because these problems weren't present before I upgraded. Yes, I can, and probably will at this point buy a wired mouse...but...seriously?

6. Starfox macrumors regular

Interrupts perhaps? What's the CPU usage like?

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

If you can, try using 5GHz Wifi. It's (at least today) mostly free of the interference issues that plague 2.4GHz Wifi.

If you're in an area with a lot of interference, it can be worth the money to upgrade to a dual-radio access point to get 5GHz support.