Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

North Bronson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
San José
I just installed OS 2.2.1 over iTunes. When I open XCode, I saw this message in the Organizer:

The Developer Disk Image could not be mounted.
Xcode could not find an appropriate Developer Disk Image to mount on your iPod. Please contact Apple for the 2.2.1 (5H11a) device support package.

This was working perfectly with 2.2.0. I've tried looking for OS 2.2.0 to download and can't find it.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is just a stock iPod touch; not jail-broken or anything.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I just installed OS 2.2.1 over iTunes. When I open XCode, I saw this message in the Organizer:

The Developer Disk Image could not be mounted.
Xcode could not find an appropriate Developer Disk Image to mount on your iPod. Please contact Apple for the 2.2.1 (5H11a) device support package.

This was working perfectly with 2.2.0. I've tried looking for OS 2.2.0 to download and can't find it.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is just a stock iPod touch; not jail-broken or anything.

Seems to be a common thing after the update. Search on versiontracker.com for the 2.2 firmware ipsw file to downgrade. Or, you can wait til update Xcode to work with 2.1.1 (available at developer.apple.com/iphone/)

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Pfff... 1.75 GB...

Attachments

• iP_sdk_2.2.1_updt.png
    iP_sdk_2.2.1_updt.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 130

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yes this is the case, another download but why?

You need to download the new SDK version

This is certainly the case but it makes one wonder why a whole new SDK is needed for what has been described as minor bug fixes. Let's face it 1.7 GB of SDK is a awfully big download for a Safari and camera fix! It just bothers me that the API would change so much that a x.x.1 release would need a whole new SDK.

Maybe it is worthwhile Safari does seem better. One is left with the feeling that Apple isn't exactly giving us all hue goods with respect to what has been fixed.

Dave

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
This is certainly the case but it makes one wonder why a whole new SDK is needed for what has been described as minor bug fixes. Let's face it 1.7 GB of SDK is a awfully big download for a Safari and camera fix! It just bothers me that the API would change so much that a x.x.1 release would need a whole new SDK.
The API has not changed that much. It's just that Apple has chosen an approach that replaces the entire SDK whenever a new version is released rather than a much smaller version that has to pick and choose what (and where) to replace. They use the same approach for iPhone OS updates and even application updates from the App Store. That's just the nature of the beast. Makes for longer downloads but easier installations.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yes but should the API change for a x.x.1 update?

Hi Dejo

I guess my problem comes from Apple passing the update off as a bug fix. Not that I'm against bug fixes mind you just that I don't believe they ought to be packaging API updates along with it. I'd would think that most developers would see this getting out of hand after awhile.

In any event and since you have apparently already looked into it, what has changed? If a bunch of stuff got fixed beyond what Apple has indicated you would think it would be to their advantage to keep the consummer informed.

Dave

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Learning to hate Apple

Ars Technica claims no API changes with iPhone SDK 2.2.1 and I tend to agree. I couldn't find a list of changes either.
I downloaded and installed a couple of days ago now and as usually with iPhone SDK became a bit angry at Apple. The install had its problems but what really go me was that DOC set issue. It took like two day for this to become available and then when it comes it consists of exactly one small page of text. That is it.

Also note that none of the "new features" from the 2.2.1 readme seem to be new. They are the same list as from 2.2.

Yep

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
The install had its problems but what really go me was that DOC set issue. It took like two day for this to become available and then when it comes it consists of exactly one small page of text.
That DOC set issue? I'm not sure I understand. Please elaborate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.