OS 3.0 is going to be Apple's Netbook OS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joelypolly, Mar 12, 2009.

1. joelypolly macrumors 6502

I think the real reason behind the 3.0 OS will be that Apple is working on porting version to their netbook. After all it would be perfect to have app store for a 10" tablet. Think of how much better most of the games could get with an improved screen size and/or GFX.They would probably do something like universal binaries or multiple targets from Xcode.

For a netbook the iPhone OS makes a lot more sense than full on MacOS as it has much better support for touch and the UI is better suited as well.

2. TwoSpiritedBi macrumors newbie

meh... Possibly, but I don't think Apple will bring out a netbook, and they already have he Macbook Air, and it sells VERY poorly! I think this event will be strictly for iPhone.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Looking at last year's event video - it was a fair bit about the Cocoa Touch - if there was a multitouch netbook, it might likely take parts. We don't know how Apple's going to have played it yet - they could show a iPhone version of 10.5.7 or it could be possibly and more hopefully based more on 10.6

4. spikedfo macrumors regular

err...maybe not a netbook? maybe like a powerful eBook reader?

5. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think the netbook/tablet Apple comes out it will be a big 10" ipod touch like device, that will operate with an on-screen keyboard (iPhone-esque) and then it will be able to hook up with an apple wireless keyboard and dock and then act as a mini computer. Thoughts?

We know Apple can't bring out a "REAL" compuer thats mini, cuz it would kill the air's market, but by giving a minimum computer thats basically a big iPod touch but is capable of hooking up with a keyboard, it will be the perfect mobile device. Thoughts?

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Sounds reasonable. I like it.

I don't think an Apple netbook would compete on the level as most other netbooks. Just like the iPhone doesn't really compete against your bog-standard 9-key telephone. The Apple "slab" will show what a netbook *can* be rather than only trying to be a tiny laptop.

7. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I'll throw further predictions out...

1 USB
    Mini Display Port (to hook up to cinema display if you want)
    Magsafe or 30 pin connector (I can't decide if this is considered its own comp)
    Head phone jack (No audio in, headphones will act as this)
    No CD Drive
    Standard MacBook camera
    No ethernet port (Wi-fi and AT&T 3G(??))
    Accelerometer
    2.0 GHz Processor
    2GB RAM
    32 or 64GB SSD HDD

After typing that out, that doesn't seem too much out on a limb, so I can't be right haha.

What are your thoughts on those specs?

8. iVoid macrumors 65816

If that's true, no sale.

I'm looking for a smaller than a Macbook ultraportable that runs the full Mac OS X.

I already have an iPhone that has the limited iPhone OS X.

There's already multitouch that has been put into Mac OS X for the acbooks, so no reason they couldn't put the full Mac OS X on a netbook.

Now MAYBE they'll offer a cheap netbook with the iPhone OS X on it and a beefier model with full Mac OS X on it. But I hope they don't hobble this supposed netbook.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You know they'll "hobble" it. It's Apple - they decide what's good and we decide whether we agree.

@Luk1robb:

I like the MDP, the Magsafe, the headphone jack the camera and the wifi. Dunno about the SSD. I'd imagine Apple'd try to keep the price between $600-800. Maybe an 80-gig iPod drive. Enough for surfing, office tasks and a small iTunes library. This'd be something for surfing on the couch and leaving it on the coffee table at night. They'll go with the non-replaceable battery to extend the time between chargings.

I can't figure between OSX or Lite, though. If it's only 10 inches, and some of that will be keyboard when typing, Lite might be the better option. I just don't know if Lite will ever have a version of iWork available for it. iWork would need a whole new UI. Maybe you could buy it off the App Store?

Could be neat, all around. It won't be a solution for everyone though. I couldn't justify buying what I've just described, but maybe some could. If they make it too good it might pull too many sales from the MBA. It'd be a light-office/kitchen/couch computer.

It's kind of neat to think that computers are finally becoming so ubiquitous that we can design the for the market or task. Computers not too long ago had dedicated rooms and furniture in the house, still do. This one I'd leave lying around...

10. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple would use iPhone OS for a netbook, OS X is rock solid and runs very well on low power hardware (Dell mini 9) i think apple's netbook will have good specs, im betting a mini C2D like in the air, paired with nivida's ION chipset. in my opinion iPhone OS is a buggy pile of garbage, i really hope 3.0 turns it all around, because right now, i wouldn't trust my iPhone to make a 911 call because it might freeze up loading the phone.

11. mbleopard macrumors regular

I don't know about that, considering there is no support for USB, intel processors (doesn't the iphone us the ARM?), as well as a keyboard and mouse. It doesnt make sense to modify the iphone OS that much when they can just use Leopard, besides plenty of netbooks already proved that a lower spec laptop can run Leopard

12. joelypolly thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem with that is that with such a small screen size + resolution it is not really user friendly for the average person. When menu + the safari header takes a quarter of your screen real estate it is going to look pretty bad.

Also iPhone OS is in effect OSX just a different UI. You could in theory run OS X apps if they were complied for the ARM processor. I think with a new device they really need to look at what people want to do on it and come up with a usable and friendly interface.

OSX as it is currently + touch doesn't really go that well together. Especially if you were to use your fingers for everything.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Puttng the same os on a 3.5" phone and a 10" tablet/computer doesn't make much sense.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The Air seems to be as small as they can go, computer-wise, if you want the full Mac OS X. All that's left is to make the screen smaller. Would you really be happy with an Air, just with a smaller screen? I really can't see that being a popular product.

Because if you're thinking of something that's actually smaller, prepare for another cut-down OS. Not the iPhone OS, no, but something in-between the two.