OS 3 beta 5 sucks + baseband downgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OriginalMasta, May 27, 2009.

1. OriginalMasta macrumors member

SEriously, early adopters are like guinea pigs. When it comes to technology, we get the short end of the stick. However, with the iPhone 3G, being first doesn't suck compared to being 2nd or 3rd or 4th!

With OS 3.0 beta 5, I had the mms feature removed. That gave me no reason to stick with OS 3.0 beta 5 because everything is buggy of course, memory usage sucks (debug symbols loaded like a gun), and generally I see no real benefit unless I need to finish my app for 3.0. IN general, Beta 5 seems to be worse than beta 3. There are still keyboard display issues, sms texting lag issues (not reflecting correct count of sms sent), and other issues obviously because it's still in beta.

So I switched back to 2.2.1 but you know the baseband with beta 5 has been upgraded. BUT (praises to the hacker(s)), I was able to downgrade the baseband back to 2.28.00 for yellowsnow unlock. Damn, being first is bliss!

Now this iPhone is worth even more! I'm sure when 3.0 rolls around, it will be JB'en and then yellow snow will work IF 2.28.00 will work with 3.0 but I'm having feelings it won't.

So for those who have a very first iPhone 3G (like me who waited in line opening day), you will be able to downgrade your baseband back to 2.28.00 if you want to unlock.

Cheers!:)

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

OS 3 Beta isn't for early adopters - it's for Developers and it's a Beta! The software is still in development and isn't a public release yet so there's going to be problems.

3. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

Beta 6 needs to come out now. It's been way too long since Beta 5.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Fine, except that Apple should have figured out BY NOW how to get the radio on this thing to work properly. Unless you're suggesting that the engineers at Apple are all horribly incompetent? Oh, wait ...

5. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Wait...I can downgrade from baseband 04.26.08?

6. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

only if your bootloader is of 5.08 version. If you purchased an iphone like I did the first week of release, you have a high chance of getting a 5.08 bl.

Otherwise, no luck. You can downgrade from any baseband presently - from 2.30.00 - 4.26.08

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Of course you are guinea pigs, why do you think Beta Testers exist ?

No one FORCED you to install an unstable beta on your phone, it was your choice.

I understand your contempt for Apple for releasing a beta that is "worse" than the previous beta, but sometimes that happens when beta testing.

8. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

How do I figure out my BL, and if I have the right version, how exactly would I downgrade baseband?

m

9. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

You must first downgrade your firmware to 2.2.1 again. Then you download 3G fuzzyband from Cydia (search under bigboss repo) - it will allow you to query your baseband then allow you to downgrade to 2.28.00. There's another much more intricate method to do this but it's so much easier to just reflash to 2.2.1 from 3.0.

If you actually use pwnagetool 2.2.5, create a NEW restore .ipsw from the 2.2.1 original firmware, you will be able to successfully downgrade WITHOUT using windows quickpwn! It's flawless everytime but you just have to recreate the custom .ipsw first then run the DFU (following the beeps on screen). Otherwise, if you enter DFU without pwnagetool recreating the new custom .ipsw, you will get errors in itunes when you try to restore and you will then need quickpwn running on PC (windows) to fix your errors.

10. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

You guys do realize that often times with betas certain features will be purposely turned off so they specifically test functionalities of other processes.

11. Sdannenberg3 macrumors newbie

Hey, I got my iphone the very first day, waited in line and everything, but I cannot restore to 2.2.1. I get an unknown error (1604) every time! I am trying to downgrade my baseband as well, but you say you have to downgrade to OS 2.2.1 first, but I cannot do that! Do you use itunes 8.1.1 to reinstall 2.2.1 or did you use itunes 8.2 beta? plz help man, I have looked ALL over and for the life of my cannot get this thing downgraded!

I really need to downgrade it too because my phones lock button has stopped working and I am trying to get it fixed under warranty, but apple wont touch it since it has 3.0 beta 5 on it :(

THANS IN ADVANCE!

12. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

You are in a catch-22 situation! Yes, you will need that home button to work or else I do not know of a way to enter DFU without it :( You can always go to another apple store and talk your way into another iPhone since the one year warranty is still good! That's your best bet really, i'm afraid.

13. Sdannenberg3 macrumors newbie

Well I actually got it! I dont know if my button just started working for a bit, or if 3.0 beta for some reason made my button not work, but screwed something up and got the PSOD, and from there, my button worked!!!! So I was like hmmm, got into DFU mode, put on a custom ispw from pwnagetool and bam! works now! Maybe now all I can hope for is for my button to stop working again so I can get a new phone ;)

14. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

If Beta 5 is out for this long period of time, Beta 5 might be the final beta release.

15. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

alternatively, Beta 5 doesn't have any updates to the Radio because it isnt the focused goal of the phase.

16. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

how did you downgrade your baseband? could you please post directions or PM me?

17. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

Please google for "3G FuzzyBand".

Simply put:

1) Downgrade OS 3.0 -> OS 2.2.1 via jailbreak method.
    1b) Your baseband from OS 3.0 will remain the same.

2) Install CYDIA on jailbroken iphone. Go to bigboss repo. Download and install 3G FuzzyBand.

3) Run the 3G FuzzyBand program that is now placed on your springboard after install. It will query your current baseband and allow you to downgrade to 02.28.00.

4) Download yellowsn0w from the right repo. That's it.

18. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

quickpwn wont find my iphone when i connect it. what do i do now?

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I had the same problem when I downgraded a few days ago. I ended up using Pwnage Tool and restoring from the custom firmware it created. Worked perfectly.

20. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I had this problem with my Mac so I used a PC and quickpwn found the phone right away.