OS 3 Internet Tethering Not Available on Ipod Touch ?!?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by partalos, Jun 18, 2009.

1. partalos macrumors newbie

2. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

What use could you have for it on an iPod Touch?

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes.

No need to tether an iPod touch. Any WiFi signal that you can connect to via your touch, your laptop can do the same.

4. partalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Connect from the cable/bluetooth to the internet through my mac:

Share your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB. http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the tethering requires a mobile network connection. It makes no sense to have a tether option for ipod because if it can connect wirelessly then so can your laptop/pc, the tethering is more for mobiles for them times when theres just no available wifi.

Macs have the ability to share internet connection with a touch, tethering is a one way thing I believe as in from the device to your pc/laptop, so if a mac is connected through ethernet is shares the connection wirelessly with whatever device.

partalos: note the link is for the iPhone not iPod Touch

6. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

They both pick up Wifi, there is no point...

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

8. Ben Kei macrumors regular

You've got the wrong end of the stick (don't worry, lots of people seem to have done)

The tethering allows your Mac with no connection to the internet to connect via the iPhones 3g network coverage.

It does NOT allow your iPhone/iPod touch to connect to the internet via a cable connected to your Mac/PC

You've been able to share your Mac's wired connection with an iPhone/iPod touch forever by enabling internet sharing, ethernet->airport (on any airport enabled Mac) which essentially turns your Mac into a wireless network connection that the iPhone/iPod can connect to via WiFi

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

why the heck would you tether your ipt? it has no mobile data connection... lol!

10. andyffer macrumors member

11. ckd macrumors member

It makes sense, but in the opposite direction of tethering vs. the iPhone.

Say that you have an iPod touch, and your spouse has an iPhone. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tether the iPod via BlueTooth through the iPhone, so you can both get online? Just as you can tether your laptop, except that the iPod is quite a bit lighter than even the MacBook Air.

(And if they do it right and use the Bluetooth PAN profile, then I can also tether my iPod through my Sony Ericsson phone....)

12. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i've talked to 3 people recently who thought the touch uses att's network, you just cant use the phone feature..whatever that is suppose to me haha...

not sure why people are getting confused with the touch....

13. tucker61 macrumors regular

I have a laptop with mobile broadband. I might want iPod touch to tether to laptop. Is it possible without cables ?

14. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

/palmface

:eek:

Altho sometimes it would be nice for it to go the other way, tethering is being able to use the MOBILE CONNECTION on the PHONE on the Computer. :p

15. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I thinks someone has had a little too much of something today.

16. Ben Kei macrumors regular

If your laptop has the ability to share it's internet connection then you can allow access to the mobile broadband via it's WiFi card.

In that case the laptop essentially becomes a WiFi router and you connect to it wirelessly from the iPod as though it were a router.

Very easy in OS X, not sure how you go about it Windows cos I've never had to do it.

17. Lukis1994 macrumors newbie

The idea of tethering ( can't spell ) is so that like when I was in my dads truck and I want an app on my iPod I could connect via. USB and use a mobile network thingy.

18. WillyMF1 macrumors newbie

bluetooth DUN profile for ipod

I too am very upset and feel misled.

I want to tether my touch to my work provided blackberry for internet browsing when not near wifi.

Moving on after disapointment, how hard would it be for the wonderful hackers out there to add a bluetooth DUN profile. I don't imagine a legitimate app would work because it would have to run in the background in order to use safari.

19. RedWings macrumors regular

I'd love to be able to tether my touch to my blackberry for times when I don't have a wifi signal. The browser is so much better than the BB.

Then again I could just tether my bb to my netbook or MBP in those times

20. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Come on...really now? I've wanted an app for an iPhone to turn into a "Bluetooth" router so iPod touch users can connect that would be nice, my team goes on allot of away meets and almost everyone has an iPod touch and one or two have iPhones so this would be nice. Haha I wish I could hook up the old linksys to an iPhone, damn can't find that Ethernet port though (just kidding..)

21. kevintm macrumors newbie

Sharing internet connection on mac to ipod

Although it's not considered tethering. You can connect your ipod touch to your mac using ad hoc via wifi. Then share your broadband internet card in the sharing option in System preferences. Then you would have internet on your ipod so you can play your internet games or download right to the phone via itunes or whatever you want. I just tested this on my ipod touch 8gig with the 3.0 software (not jail broken) and it works fine.

22. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Same here, except with my 3G phone (not an iPhone). I'm waiting to upgrade my iPod to do my own experiment because the chatter I'm hearing about tethering an iPod seems to be one sided. There's too much "inside the box" thinking about this.

When version 3 point whatever is finally deemed stable by the community, I'll be upgrading. I'm hoping I'll be able to post a successful experiment if it had not already been reported by someone else.

23. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Ok im at my friends cottage and got my new macbook 13" tethered to my iphone. My sister has an ipod touch and wondeirng about getting her on the shared internet off my macbook. I went through usual internet sharing etc, and put in a wep key etc, but my ipod touch doesnt detect any wifi and when i manually enter the wep key and network name, cant find it either.
    any advice?
    the ipod touch was updated to 3.0 too

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

easy

i have a desktop without a wifi card

i want my touch to pick up the wifi signal and essentially act as a usb wireless dongle for this desktop as opposed to running a loooong cable

satisfied?

25. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

never mind it worked, i selected airport instead of ethernet of the iphone.
    yeh!