OS 3.x observation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by niblum10, Sep 9, 2009.

1. niblum10 macrumors member

Something I noticed when I updated my ipod touch 2g to iphone os 3.x and was wondering if anyone else did. I did a few searches and couldn't find anyone else noticing this. Hopefully I can explain it.

When running iPhone OS 2.x, I was able to wake the ipod from sleep and use the volume rocker to adjust the volume of the external speakers, whether the music was on or not. While I could also adjust the volume by double clicking the home button, I preferred the rocker b/c it was easier to do with one hand and could be done without looking at the screen. After updating to 3.x, I could no longer do this. Its either double click and adjust volume by sliding or wake the ipod, slide to unlock, then use the rocker. I know that its not that big of a deal, its just something that I had gotten used to and now miss about the 2.x software and wanted to see if anyone else had noticed.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I can't vouch for the 3.1 software, but 3.0 software, I could adjust the volume with the rocker switch whether the iPod was in sleep mode or unlocked. I didn't have to unlock, just adjust the rocker and that's it. Now this may have changed in 3.1...

3. niblum10 thread starter macrumors member

the rocker works for me when music is playing. but it no longer works when music is off and i'm at the "slide to unlock" screen.

here's an example of how i used what i'm trying to explain: i often set sound alarms in ical. I don't like the sound to go off in meetings at work though. I would discretely pull the ipod out of my pocket, press the sleep/wake button w/ my index finger, then turn the volume down with my middle finger, put it back to sleep and slip it back in my pocket. hope that helps explain it a little better.